Dump 3D meshes from games

Started by
9 comments, last by circlesoft 18 years ago
Hi people, i have a question to give to you. Is there anyway to dump 3D meshes from games running by DirectX? I know there are d3d9.dll and x3d9.dll specified for dump textures from games running by DirectX, but for extract the 3d meshes? Please help me!! Thanx:)
Advertisement
"Dump meshes"?

Do you mean the contents of an ID3DXMesh object? If so, yes - look into the D3DXSaveMeshToX() and D3DXSaveMeshHierarchyToFile() functions.

Do you mean grabbing from a 3rd party game (i.e. not your code)? If so, this might well be A Bad Thing™. I'm no legal expert, but trying to reverse engineer and "hack" a commercial product is usually frowned upon [wink]

Cheers,
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Please... can you explain me how to do it? Im a n00b on this things, sorry
This is what i want: i want to extract/export some 3d car meshes from a racing game i have to *.wrl, *.x, *.3ds... to load'em in 3ds max (for example) and use them for my self use. Thanx for tha help :D
Quote:Original post by striking_shadow
This is what i want: i want to extract/export some 3d car meshes from a racing game i have to *.wrl, *.x, *.3ds...
So you basically want to take the data from a commercial application and convert it to a format that you can use.

I can't give you any sample code for that - its not a simple task. You need to know the format of data used by the game in question. Games dont always use standard formats - sometimes they're highly optimized/extended for the intended use.

to load'em in 3ds max (for example) and use them for my self use.
You'd be on dubious legal territory with this one, check the EULA for your game - you might not be allowed to re-use any assets you extract from the game. Its a grey-area because of "modding" and fan-based content creation, but you could quite easily get on the wrong side of whomever actually owns that content.

hth
Jack

Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

The game is 'Juiced' published in June 2005, it will be great to extract the car meshes. The car file extension is *.dat, and come 2 files for each car; for example: peugeot_206.dat and peugeot_206_ui.dat.
The car file extension is *.dat, and come 2 files for each car; for example: peugeot_206.dat and peugeot_206_ui.dat.
I'm sorry, I don't wish to be blunt - but that information is useless [smile]

I can create a binary file format with any extension - 'dat' and 'bin' are common extensions. If it were something like '3ds' or 'md3' you might be able to take a guess at what format the data is in.

Your only chance really is to do some searching for a file specification - see if Juice Games made a publicly available specification for the format or if its derived from (or the same as) another documented format. Anything else is just going to be a form of hacking or reverse engineering - and you need a lot of time and skill to get anywhere with that approach [wink]

Jack

If i send you a file via e-mail? Could you help me more?
Somewhere talks about Bink Video Technology... i think this is only a plugin for compress videos....
If i send you a file via e-mail? Could you help me more?
I don't think you get what I was saying [smile]

Without any information about the layout of the file - what data it contains, what format that data is in, what order that data is - its just a lump of 1's and 0's and general binary "stuff".

I can't help you with that, and I doubt many other people could.

Without a specification it verges on a mild form of hacking/reverse-engineering which I've already stated is not easy and at best legally dubious. GameDev.net does not endorse such activities should they actually infringe on the licence agreement that Juiced contains.

Quote:Somewhere talks about Bink Video Technology... i think this is only a plugin for compress videos....
Not quite sure how you got to this conclusion, but as mentioned - .dat is a fairly common file format (short for data).

Quote:.dat file format
Can be just about anything: text, graphic, or general binary data. There is no specific structure for a .DAT file.

Jack

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement