[FIXED!] Using over 8 textures in direct 3d

Started by
6 comments, last by Dhaos 17 years, 11 months ago
problem solved, thanks again everybody =3 [Edited by - Dhaos on May 6, 2006 10:30:35 PM]
Advertisement
I'm pretty sure that the "8 texture limit" is for multi-texturing. You can easily load and use more than 8 textures per scene.

Are you doing it like this?

SetTexture( 0, SomeTexture );
DrawStuff();
SetTexture( 1, SomeOtherTexture );
DrawMoreStuff();

You don't have to do that. This will work as well:

SetTexture( 0, SomeTexture );
DrawStuff();
SetTexture( 0, SomeOtherTexture );
DrawMoreStuff();

Infact if you're not using multi-texturing then just stick to level 0.
actually this is what I"m doing (when I try using more than 8 of these, they last one won't load)

D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx(g_pd3ddevi, "sprite_bird_front.png", 0, 0, 0, 0,
D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8, D3DPOOL_MANAGED, D3DX_DEFAULT,
D3DX_DEFAULT ,0xFF8D8686, NULL, NULL, &g_texture_enemy_01);

if(FAILED(D3DXCreateSprite(g_pd3ddevi,&g_sprite_enemy_01)))
{
MessageBox(0,"D3DXCreateSprite() - Failed","error",0);
//return 0;
}

g_pd3ddevi->SetTexture(0, g_texture_enemy_01);

D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx(g_pd3ddevi, "sprite_lizard_front.png", 0, 0, 0, 0,
D3DX_DEFAULT ,0xFF8D8686, NULL, NULL, &g_texture_player_01);

if(FAILED(D3DXCreateSprite(g_pd3ddevi,&g_sprite_player_01)))
{
//return 0;
}
g_pd3ddevi->SetTexture(0, g_texture_player_01);

////TEXT//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx(g_pd3ddevi, "interface_font.png", 0, 0, 0, 0,
D3DX_DEFAULT ,0xFF8D8686, NULL, NULL, &g_texture_text_00);

if(FAILED(D3DXCreateSprite(g_pd3ddevi,&g_sprite_text_00)))
{
//return 0;
}

g_pd3ddevi->SetTexture(0, g_texture_text_00);
////BAR//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx(g_pd3ddevi, "interface_bars.png", 0, 0, 0, 0,
D3DX_DEFAULT ,0xFF8D8686, NULL, NULL, &g_texture_bar);

if(FAILED(D3DXCreateSprite(g_pd3ddevi,&g_sprite_bar)))
{
//return 0;
}

g_pd3ddevi->SetTexture(0, g_texture_bar);
////MISC//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx(g_pd3ddevi, "interface_misc.png", 0, 0, 0, 0,
D3DX_DEFAULT ,0xFF8D8686, NULL, NULL, &g_texture_misc);

if(FAILED(D3DXCreateSprite(g_pd3ddevi,&g_sprite)))
{
//return 0;
}

g_pd3ddevi->SetTexture(0, g_texture_misc);

////ICONS_SKILLS//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx(g_pd3ddevi, "icons_skills.png", 0, 0, 0, 0,
D3DX_DEFAULT ,0xFF8D8686, NULL, NULL, &g_texture_icons_skills);

{
//return 0;
}

g_pd3ddevi->SetTexture(0, g_texture_icons_skills);

////PARTICLE//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
D3DXCreateTextureFromFileEx(g_pd3ddevi, "particle.png", 0, 0, 0, 0,
D3DX_DEFAULT ,0xFF8D8686, NULL, NULL, &g_texture_particle);

{
//return 0;
}

g_pd3ddevi->SetTexture(0, g_texture_particle);

I am taking a guess that you are misunderstanding. Those are texture-stage states, all of which will be applied in some way to every polygon while they are set.

It is intended as a way to avoid rendering multiple passes on the same object when that object requires more than one texture applied to the same place. Example: A brick wall with a lightmap applied. In this case, both textures are set to the appropriate stages, the proper blending factors are set and the wall is then rendered in a single pass. If you want to render several different objects with several different textures, you will be required to set the appropriate texture for each object before it is rendered. For instance: a brick wall and a street sidewalk. You will need to set the brick texture and render the wall, then set the sidewalk texture and render the sidewalk.

If I am mistaken and you are simply trying to render more than eight textures in a single pass, then you may want to look into multiple rendering passes with additive blending.
All I'm trying to do is load up more textures to display my sprites on screen. I think my sprite function might be malfunctioning... or I"m just missing some incredibly basic concept *again*... thanks for the replies *does some testing*
Is that code per frame or is it cut up some how? Anyway you only really need one sprite object. You can use more of course if you want.

Also you created g_sprite 3 times and g_sprite_enemy_01 twice.
Quote:Original post by Dhaos
or I"m just missing some incredibly basic concept *again*

Yes, that's what you're doing.

There are four things you do with textures, in general:

• Load the texture from disk into an IDirect3DTexture9 object. This is saying to Direct3D, "I am going to want to use this texture at some point."
  • Bind the texture to a texture stage, by calling IDirect3DDevice9::SetTexture(). This is saying to Direct3D, "I want to use this texture during the next DrawPrimitive call I make."
  • Unbind the texture from a texture stage, by calling IDirect3DDevice9::SetTexture() with a different texture (or NULL). This is saying to Direct3D, "I'm done using this texture for now, but keep it around, because I'll want to use it again."
  • Unload the texture from memory. This is saying to Direct3D, "I'm done using this texture for the foreseeable future."

It's very, very common for a game to have many tens of textures loaded in to memory; it just won't be using more than 8 for a single DrawPrimitive call.

D3DXSprite actually calls SetTexture for you internally; so all you need to do is load and unload textures, and pass them to D3DXSprite.

Edit: Also, Scet is right about the sprites - you only need one D3DXSprite object. It shouldn't really be called D3DXSprite - a better name would be D3DXSpriteRenderer. Use one D3DXSprite object for all your sprites.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

OK fixed x_______x I have no clue why either, I just started deleting code and reordering things and then...wahm it worked. Thanks everybody for helping, my code now runs a wii bit faster ^_^

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement