Procedural Generation

Started by
3 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years ago
I was watching the spore google vid a while back, and he kept mentioning something called "Procedural Generation". What exactly is it? I mean, I'm guessing the code creats stuff as the game progresses but thats not exactly a detailed deduction...
Advertisement
It's pretty much what it sounds like. Instead of, say, loading a texture from a file, or storing in advance the locations of all the trees in your forest, this information is generated by the relevant modules of your engine in real-time.
- k2"Choose a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life." — Confucius"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will get you everywhere." — Albert Einstein"Money is the most egalitarian force in society. It confers power on whoever holds it." — Roger Starr{General Programming Forum FAQ} | {Blog/Journal} | {[email=kkaitan at gmail dot com]e-mail me[/email]} | {excellent webhosting}
Yeah - but in spore we're not talking pretty textures or trees - we're talking about the animations of the units themselves being procedurally generated depending on what the creature YOU create looks like.

Freaking awesome.
AfroFire | Brin"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."-Albert Einstein
So does it not call any reference to movement info until the very instant its being used?
Quote:Original post by AfroFire
Yeah - but in spore we're not talking pretty textures or trees - we're talking about the animations of the units themselves being procedurally generated depending on what the creature YOU create looks like.

Freaking awesome.
So was B&W's AI supposed to be and it turned out to be crap. I'd hope at least people in game development boards wouldn't be so quick to believe in hype.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement