i need help, real noob here

Started by
10 comments, last by King Abadora 17 years, 12 months ago
is gamedev a real program. If so where can i get it? I need a game programming program
Advertisement
You should clarify whether you are looking to learn how to program or if you just want a sort of game making program that you point and click things.

Is a website that has a game maker that allows you to make games without any lines of code apparently, I however have not used it.
http://www.gamemaker.nl/

Or if you are looking to learn to program you're going to need to pick a language and find a compiler. This site has some good articles for beginners that you could check out for deciding a language.

And also there are several threads on the forum with this topic, you could try using the search feature which is located on the top right of the forum page.

Good luck :)
Gamedev is not a program. There are no programs for making games. (An oversimplification, but it'll do for now.) What you want is a programming language. I suggest you take a look at the forum FAQ, specifically, the first question listed. Or you could google for 'Java developer kit', or 'getting started with Java'.
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
for clarity's sake, click here and read everything:

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/showfaq.asp?forum_id=31

-me
Quote:Original post by King of Men
There are no programs for making games.

Sure there are

-AJ
V/R,-AJThere are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...
I think I did mention it was an oversimplification. Anyway, I don't think I'd recommend that lot to anyone completely without programming experience.
To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.
Actually, a game maker would be a good place to start; it's what I did. Most have their own built-in scripting language to acompany the drog-and-drop elements, so you can learn the basics of programming without having to worry about all the weird quirks and problems that arise when programming in an actual language. After you get comfortable with your game maker, try moving on to a variant of Basic, or something else simple like Pascal, and then finally to a more complex language like C++ (most common in the games industry) or Java.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Quote:Original post by King of Men
I think I did mention it was an oversimplification. Anyway, I don't think I'd recommend that lot to anyone completely without programming experience.

I'd suggesst you properly place your punctuation so as to express your intended point. Your 'an oversimplification, but it'll do for now' line in parenthases came after the period ending the previous sentance so it wouldn't apply to that sentance. To make the intended point, perhaps it should go more like:

There are no programs for making games (an oversimplification, but it'll do for now).

I'm very sorry if I'm sounding like an asshole, but it kind of irks me when someone says/writes something gramatically incorrect and then takes takes offense when I make a reply that assumes the author meant what they said/wrote. Anyway, it's about time to go to bed here, so I bid you all good evening.

-AJ
V/R,-AJThere are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...
Oh, come now, there's no such rule. If I put a whole sentence in parenthesis, then it applies to whatever came before it, same as if I'd had the phrase alone as in your example. What else would it apply to?
The sentance proceeding it. Some people apply parenthases to a phrase/sentance proceeding it. In any case, we now know what you meant and it's a moot point. I apologize for the confusion.

-AJ

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement