Let's Blame GPU Makers!

Started by
19 comments, last by dwarfsoft 17 years, 11 months ago
Well, are you happy about "playing games and not being a gamer"?!? More specifically, do you understand what hardcore gaming does to your wallet? There's a tradeoff to be made, you understand.

"Non-gamers" shouldn't need a low-end solution; it's already there. It'll be waiting for them two years later when the high-end hardware ages and drops 50% in price. The games will be cheaper, too! Of course, you don't get to stand around talking to your friends about the latest games and tech, but that's something that only a HARDCORE GAMER would care about.

And you've got it backwards: gaming experiences for people are fundamentally THE SAME with only differences in opinion. Unless you have schizophrenia.
____________Numbermind StudiosCurrently in hibernation.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by RolandofGilead
I can only assume you were being sarcastic.

Well, I'm not. Your entire argument boils down to "Hardware progresses too fast so we should force hardware developers to stop innovating, limit themselves severely, and what we do allow them to release should be crippled."

It sounds like you're having a case of the empty wallet syndrome, which amounts to "Such and such game look soooo good on SLI'd 7800GTX's but I can't afford them so I hate the industry for making things more expensive than I can afford!"

If you want a stable, long-term investment for gaming, get a console. They have around a 6 year lifespan whereas the average PC hardware has about a 1 year lifespan, generation-to-generation.

However, if you want to stay on the bleeding edge of graphics, audio, etc. Be prepared to spend a lot of money, very often, keeping up with the industry. An enthusiast in any area of life is someone who will probably spend a lot of money keeping up with current trends.
Figured out why I agreed with
gumpy macdrunken: hardware innovation stifles software stability!
Which is a really, pointedly stupid claim.
Quote:Do you realize just how many render paths there are in a 3D engine?
In a well designed engine, up to three. D3D 7 spec, D3D 8 spec, and D3D 9 spec. I assume this will shift to 8/9/10 next year. Most games don't even bother to provide the D3D 7 line anymore, and D3D 8 is getting shaky too.
Quote:Also, thanks for bringing up consoles, as this brings me to another point: it takes developers until the end of the console cycle to truly bring out the power of the hardware, that cycle lasts years so new generation cards come out faster than devs can grok!
That's because most of the consoles don't resemble each other or anything else. Developing for the PS2 is a wildly different experience from anything else. It takes a while to figure that stuff out. PCs tend to stay fundamentally the same from generation to generation, making incremental improvements as they go.

I'm with Run_The_Shadows here. It sounds mostly like you're whining because you can't afford to run with the big cards.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
[..]I, and presumably others, would play more games if a computer is capable of giving an experience worth my investment of time and energy.[...]
I'm the person you refer to in your OP (that said the 7600 GT is for the "I like to play games but I'm not a gamer" crowd), and while I agree that I'd play more games if I could have "an experience worth my investment of time and energy", I disagree entirely that the problem is related to use of technology in the way you suggest. The reason I'm going with a midrange card is solely that I haven't seen any games that make good use of better graphics. Yes, they're pretty. So, what? I didn't pay for a light show, I want some gameplay, and I already have a generic RTS (Counter-Strike 1, plus many other HL1 mods such as TFC, DOD, etc) plus a few variations (UT2004 and it's many mods), a generic RTS (WarCraft 3, which has a far better UI than many others I've played), etc. Why would I want to buy something I already have, especially when the 'new version' removes features I liked and adds new ones that I generally dont?

To convince me a game will be worth my time and money, it can't be a drop of water in the flood of similar games out there, and that's all I'm seeing. The few games I might spend money on break the deal by being pay-to-play (without offering anything that justifies continuing payments) or are lack multiplayer (coop or vs are required to make a game playable long-term for me).

Technology doesn't make or break a game[1], but games can be sold on technology. The latter is the real problem, because it is difficult(if not impossible) to compete with quantity in a hit-driven market.
If only consumers realized that "save money and wait to see if something better comes out" was an option, and they didn't have to choose between "not-completely-crap game A.1.7a" and a "not-completely-crap game A.1.7b". Capitalism works better when people vote with dollars =-/

[1] Actually, technology does break games all the time. When games use so much technology that they can't keep a stable framerate, things get unplayable real fast (even if the framerate is always above 60 fps). Unfortunately, it seems the current trend is to move in the direction of technology overload.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Quote:
In another thread, someone described a car as being for the "I like to drive cars but I'm not a driver" demographic. You know what I think? Those people are never gonna be drivers because they will never have the experience that people with faster cars do! There should be two cars per generation, one that can drive and one that can drive really really fast.
Also, thanks for bringing up consoles, as this brings me to another point: it takes developers until the end of the console cycle to truly bring out the power of the hardware, that cycle lasts years so new generation cards come out faster than devs can grok!

Thanks for making my day... <3 this thread. I still await your solution to instill the knowledge into developers heads that show them experienced-based optimizations, shortcuts, and 'hacks' that allow the more impressive effects near the end of the hardware lifecycle to occur.
People that "like games but aren't gamers" simply buy older generation video cards, and perhaps older games. It's not like you can't go to any electronics store and buy a cheap video card that will run 99% of the games currently on the market at acceptable rates. If some specific game won't run because it requires bleed-edge GPU capabilities they simply don't play that game (and not being gamers they are unlikely to be the type of fanboi that would go all goth because they can't play some game).

They only people that are hurting today are wanna-be hardcore gamers with no money. And poor wanna-be's are screwed no matter what their hobby.
-Mike
People that aren't gamers buy GPUs? And there I was thinking they bought PCs from Dell or HP (or Gateway or eMachines), or laptops from Dell or HP or Sony or Toshiba, roughly every three years, and got their GPU upgrades with that. You mean they actually go down to the electronics store and ask for the latest Nvidia GeForce 78000GTX (or whatever the fuck they're called)? This is a revelation!

I got off the upgrade mill a long time ago, and bought a console. I enjoyed it so much that I bought another. Yeah, there are some interesting PC games that I don't get to play because my PC is too old to play them (I've never had a shader-capable GPU), but there are some interesting console games that I don't get to play either, for various reasons.

So get a job. Or get a raise. Live long and prosper. [smile]
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
People that aren't gamers buy GPUs? And there I was thinking they bought PCs from Dell or HP (or Gateway or eMachines), or laptops from Dell or HP or Sony or Toshiba, roughly every three years, and got their GPU upgrades with that. You mean they actually go down to the electronics store and ask for the latest Nvidia GeForce 78000GTX (or whatever the fuck they're called)? This is a revelation![...]
In my post that the OP refers to, gamer was in italics to indicate I didn't intend the plain definion as 'one that plays games' but rather something that you might call 'hardcore gamer' or 'game addict' or something to that effect. While I play and enjoy some games, I don't generally enjoy modern games that make use of more advanced graphics technology (and thus wouldn't benefit from paying 4x more for 2x the performance).
Quote:[...]So get a job. Or get a raise. Live long and prosper. [smile]
While that fixes the OP's problem, it does not fix mine =-/
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Well of course I have empty wallet syndrome, you think a rant like this appears out of nowhere?
Also, something I'd thought I'd mention since apparently most people here are computer literate. It may be some type of weird phenomenon that only I see, but I live near a large metropolitan area and you can not buy mainstream much less high-end cards at retail. I shop online cause that is literally the only place I know of to get the newer stuff. Also, what usually is for sale in-store may be extremely old(relatively) and how is a know-nothing supposed to know the difference?

I'm not trying to figure out why enthusiasts are enthusiastic, I'm making a point about the majority of people, the idiots. While I don't want to talk to idiots, I don't mind taking their money for products and services. Our endeavors rest upon the existence and flourish of certain technology so by definition our little hobby is smaller than that technology. We must therefore try to slice that pie as best we can. Obviously we can always make games that don't focus on graphics and indies can almost never make graphics that look AAA, but most idiots are graphics-whores by definition. If they don't have a good enough system, no one can suggest games to them, b/c it is impossible for them to play.

Anyway, "Let's Blame GPU Makers" was just a catchy title. I thought it'd be fun to espouse a contrary view, and it was, plz continue to tell me I'm wrong.

Run_The_Shadows: You misunderstand, I don't want gpu makers to cripple anything. What I'd like is for gpu makers and graphical application developers to have a dialogue and define standards that are necessary to reach in order to be part of a given generation, thus assuring users have a predictable experience. (Weren't expecting something rational, were you?)

I'd like to apologize for disrupting the worldview of anyone who rated me down. Now that I've done that, you suck you immature bastard. Now that I have insulted you, plz keep the rating where it's at.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement