Implied 2d in OpenGL

Started by
1 comment, last by ronkfist 17 years, 11 months ago
Hi, im planning on making a game with implied 2d. the player will be a 3d model, but all enemies and enviromental features will be 2d. i was hoping someone could advise me as to the best way to go about doing this? is there a camera mode that i would benefit from using, or should i just orientate the camera to a position facing down the z axis and have all movement along the x-y axis?
Advertisement
You could do that, Ortho mode might be useful to you as well. Why a 3D player model but 2D the rest?

Here is an example of switching into 640x480 ortho:
void CRendererOGL::ToggleOrthoMode( bool bFlag ){	if( bFlag == true )	{		int vPort[4];		glGetIntegerv( GL_VIEWPORT, vPort );		glMatrixMode( GL_PROJECTION );		glPushMatrix( );		glLoadIdentity( );                // Should use the data from vPort here.		glOrtho( 0, 640, 0, 480, -1, 1 );		glMatrixMode( GL_MODELVIEW );		glPushMatrix( );		glLoadIdentity( );		glDisable( GL_DEPTH_TEST );	}	else	{		glMatrixMode( GL_PROJECTION );		glPopMatrix( );		glMatrixMode( GL_MODELVIEW );		glPopMatrix( );		glEnable( GL_DEPTH_TEST );	}}
Try Nehe's lesson 21, it's a good place to start.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement