#include dsound.h

Started by
3 comments, last by Mastaba 17 years, 11 months ago
Hey, I have finally decided to add an audio aspect to my game engine using DirectSound. However, when I include dsound.h, I get a bunch of compile errors that are found in dsound.h Errors: C:\DXSDK\include\dsound.h(228) : error C2143: syntax error : missing ';' before '*' C:\DXSDK\include\dsound.h(228) : error C2501: 'LPCWAVEFORMATEX' : missing storage-class or type specifiers C:\DXSDK\include\dsound.h(350) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'lpwfxFormat' C:\DXSDK\include\dsound.h(350) : error C2501: 'LPWAVEFORMATEX' : missing storage-class or type specifiers C:\DXSDK\include\dsound.h(350) : error C2501: 'lpwfxFormat' : missing storage-class or type specifiers C:\DXSDK\include\dsound.h(366) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'lpwfxFormat' C:\DXSDK\include\dsound.h(366) : error C2501: 'LPWAVEFORMATEX' : missing storage-class or type specifiers C:\DXSDK\include\dsound.h(366) : error C2501: 'lpwfxFormat' : missing storage-class or type specifiers C:\DXSDK\include\dsound.h(417) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'lpwfxFormat' C:\DXSDK\include\dsound.h(417) : error C2501: 'LPWAVEFORMATEX' : missing storage-class or type specifiers C:\DXSDK\include\dsound.h(417) : error C2501: 'lpwfxFormat' : missing storage-class or type specifiers C:\DXSDK\include\dsound.h(426) : error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'lpwfxFormat' C:\DXSDK\include\dsound.h(426) : error C2501: 'LPWAVEFORMATEX' : missing storage-class or type specifiers C:\DXSDK\include\dsound.h(426) : error C2501: 'lpwfxFormat' : missing storage-class or type specifiers C:\DXSDK\include\dsound.h(687) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'LPWAVEFORMATEX' C:\DXSDK\include\dsound.h(697) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'LPCWAVEFORMATEX' C:\DXSDK\include\dsound.h(771) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'LPWAVEFORMATEX' C:\DXSDK\include\dsound.h(781) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'LPCWAVEFORMATEX' C:\DXSDK\include\dsound.h(1042) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'LPWAVEFORMATEX' C:\DXSDK\include\dsound.h(1100) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'LPWAVEFORMATEX' I don't know why I am getting these, I have included dsound.h after windows.h, I have linked dsound.lib, and dxguid.lib, I have googled to try and find a solution, but all I found was another thread on this site from 2001 with the exact same problem, but no replies as to how to fix it. I'm guessing that it is a simple matter of changing one little thing, (please forgive my ignorance if it is) but I haven't found it yet, and I'm losing some steam after two days of trying. Thanks in advance, ask if you need more information. Svenjamin
Advertisement
There's this little gem in the SDK samples:

// DirectSound includes#include <mmsystem.h>#include <mmreg.h>#include <dsound.h>

At a guess you need the two "mm" headers to define some types/aliases that dsound.h relies on.

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Don't forget to add winmm.lib to your project also. You shouldn't have to include the mm*.h if you didn't define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN. If you have that defined, comment it out and see what happens.
Anthony Rufrano
RealityFactory 2 Programmer
Hey,
Thanks for the help, including the two mm*.h files solved the problem, thank you Jack, and I did have WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN defined, I'll comment that out and see if I need the mm files still.
Thank you so much,
Svenjamin
I'd rather leave the WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN and include the mm headers. Otherwise you are including tons of crap in addition to the mm headers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement