The Great GDNet Beer Exchange

Started by
55 comments, last by CpMan 17 years, 11 months ago
Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
Wadworth's 6X - was local down in Hampshire where I lived/worked last year. Not an amazingly distinctive beer, but an all-round pleasing drink.

Adnams' The Bitter (used to be branded SSB I think) - one of my all time favourites. Went on holiday to Southwold last year (where its brewed) and spent the vast majority of the time drinking the various Adnams'. Good times. From the bottle its good, but nothing on the quality you'll get at a decent local.
I can get both of those on tap around here [grin]

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by superpig
Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
Wadworth's 6X - was local down in Hampshire where I lived/worked last year. Not an amazingly distinctive beer, but an all-round pleasing drink.

Adnams' The Bitter (used to be branded SSB I think) - one of my all time favourites. Went on holiday to Southwold last year (where its brewed) and spent the vast majority of the time drinking the various Adnams'. Good times. From the bottle its good, but nothing on the quality you'll get at a decent local.
I can get both of those on tap around here [grin]
Is the Adnams drinkable though?

Theres at least one pub in Nottingham that has Adnams Bitter on tap, but its filthy - really really not worth paying money for [sad]. Some beers travel okay, other dont...

If you're up early enough in Southwold they still distribute the barrels by horse and cart [grin]

Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Quote:Original post by Witchcraven
[It was one of 2 beers that was too nasty to finish drinking. The other one was guiness in a bottle. The stuff on tap is great, but the bottled stuff is just terrible. Not nearly as bad as the maple crap though.

One thing to keep in mind is that there are two types of bottled Guinness available in the US. One, in the tall black and tan bottles, IMHO compares surprisingly well to Guinness on tap. The other, in the shorter gold-labeled bottles, tastes exceedingly bad. It's very strange... it's like they asked a bunch of non-Guinness fans what they didn't like about Guinness, then made a beer that exemplified those qualities.
I've heard about this sort of difference before. I forget the exact details, but there was a "good" reason for it. One is the generic locally brewed stuff, the other is imported - I think.

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Well, since most of the beers I drink aren't available in bottle form (at least, not that I'm aware of), I'll start taking pictures of the taps instead [smile]. To cover for me until I go out tonight though, here's a couple of beers I like to drink. They're both Wychwood beers, and are called Fiddlers Elbow and Dogs Bollocks respectively. Dogs bollocks is a seasonal beer, and only available on tap (in October and November), where as Fiddlers Elbow is available all year round in both bottled and tap form. They're both light beers.

If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
I'm up for a bit of beer exchange. [smile] I've recieved two beers sent in a normal package from Iceland with the normal mail service without any problems.

I have recently started to taste beers from local microbreweries but personally I prefer lagers.
Guess who's going to the Eastwood & Sanders Brewery on Saturday =)
[lol] @ Dogs Bollocks.

Quote:Original post by evolutional
Guess who's going to the Eastwood & Sanders Brewery on Saturday =)
Alright for some [smile]

This still cracks me up though:

Genius [grin]

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

I believe this stems somewhat from a conversation regarding "pissweak Australian beer" IIRC ;)

Well, I'd be in, except I have almost no monies. I still might be in though anyway. But gift exchange? wtf is with that? :P
I think I've had Fiddler's Elbow before. I can't remember how it tasted, but I remember seeing that label before.

This reminds me of the idea I had when playing Star Wars KOTOR. One of the weapons is a Wookie Bowcaster, which sounds like a fantastic name for a beer. I can easily imagine going to the bar and saying, "A pint of Wookie Bowcaster please." Am I mad?
Whenever I go to the states, I drink microbrews - not least because I'd rather go for something that is at least vaguely 'local,' instead of nationwide cruft - but even then I've found they all taste fizzy. "Beer" just seems to mean "lager" over there, which is unfortunate, 'cos I dislike lager.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by superpig
Whenever I go to the states, I drink microbrews - not least because I'd rather go for something that is at least vaguely 'local,' instead of nationwide cruft - but even then I've found they all taste fizzy. "Beer" just seems to mean "lager" over there, which is unfortunate, 'cos I dislike lager.

I prefer both fizzy beer, and lagers.
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement