hi-re textures and "unbinding" or "unloading ?

Started by
3 comments, last by Rafflesia 23 years, 2 months ago
hi, just two simple questions... 1) what are high-res texures? does it mean that they can bigger than the normal res (256x256...) or something else? and how i can use it? split the "big" texture into small and then the binding? 2)how can i "unload" textures. i mean after i have load them and use, i maybe like to use new one´s and want to have the memory from the first. hm, i don´t think that my explanations are very good ... but anyway, any help. thanks
Advertisement
What are you talking about ?
You can have textures as big as you want !
Hi res just mean they are big (not that they can be), but, that''s no big term

To unload a texture ? just free it''s memory space like you would do for any array
(you can find me on IRC : #opengl on undernet)
thanks for the hint with the unloading, but isn´t it just an integer (the array of my textures)? if i free it (the int) is the texture also deleted?
and the hi-res... i mean that my card can only handle textures up to 2064x2064 (a little more or less), but in some games are textures bigger than that (q3?). or is this wrong?

bye
Textures bigger than 256x256 aren''t supported by every card, and also are a lot slower. For compatiblity and speed it is normally easier to use multiple 256x256 textures, though that isn''t always a good solution .

http://www.gdarchive.net/druidgames/
ok
great, but how can i use multiple textures on one objekt? do i (only) have to bind the pic(s) bevore i define the points where to use these texture on? ok, this would be work great if i only define one time a glList. but if i use loops in the draw-routine, this would slow down all, wouldn´t it? and to use this with vertexArrays wouldn´t be better, too.
sorry if i understand something wrong, but this the first time i use greater textures than 128x128 .

bye

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement