Adobe highjacks OpenGL

Started by
8 comments, last by dawidjoubert 17 years, 10 months ago
I just saw a demo of the new Adobe Acrobat 3D. They have a feature that does a "Screen Capture" of an applications openGL window and captures the geometry. This is how they do it (as far as I can tell). They install a file named apengl32.dll. The dll sets a windows hook that hooks the windows Loadlibrary call, detects the load of opengl32.dll and returns a handle to their dll. All subsequent openGL calls pass through apengl32.dll where they record applicable data and pass through to opengl32.dll. So, one can use this tool to capture the 3D models from any openGL app. Does this constitute copyright violation? Windows hooks have always seemed a bit sketchy, but this seems to take it to a new level.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by zootroy
Does this constitute copyright violation?

Copyright violation? It's a capture utility. Ever used the PrintScreen key on your keyboard to take a screenshot?
glIntercept

Have a look at glIntercept. It was designed for gl debugging, but it's nearly the same. It has some nice features like logging, on-the-fly shader-editor, etc. It's actually no hook, because you have to put the glintercept opengl32.dll (which calls the real opengl32.dll functions) to the games exe.
"Copyright violation? It's a capture utility. Ever used the PrintScreen key on your keyboard to take a screenshot?"

There is a distinct difference. If I call LoadLibrary and get a valid handle back, I expect that THE library has been loaded and not one that was provided by another applications hook dll. There is a difference between capturing pixels on a screen and peeking into my openGL calls.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
There is a distinct difference. If I call LoadLibrary and get a valid handle back, I expect that THE library has been loaded and not one that was provided by another applications hook dll. There is a difference between capturing pixels on a screen and peeking into my openGL calls.
What does that have to do with copyright law?
Quote:Original post by zootroy
So, one can use this tool to capture the 3D models from any openGL app.

Does this constitute copyright violation?

If you capture a model from a game, and use it in your own game, then that act is copyright violation.

However the tool by itself has nothing to do with this.
So, I could download the free version of Sketchup (which doesn't allow export?). Capture the 3D and use it. I'm not sure if the folks at Sketchup (Google) had that in mind.
So, I could download the free version of Sketchup (which doesn't allow export?). Capture the 3D and use it. I'm not sure if the folks at Sketchup (Google) had that in mind.

Just because a tool can be misused for wrong, does not make the tool itself to blame. If someone chooses to use the capture tool to steal, thats their own decision.

Just look at DVD Burners for example.

It's not Google that has something to say about this.

Niko Suni

Just because a tool can be misused for wrong, does not make the tool itself to blame. If someone chooses to use the capture tool to steal, thats their own decision.

Just look at DVD Burners for example.

A valid point, no car is outlawed and not all car drivers are hit and run vilains.

This has some pretty neat implications though with the new vista/dapper xgl desktops..

Imagine a trojan capturing not only the visible windows but all windows under that one as well.. hehe
----------------------------

http://djoubert.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement