How do I start?

Started by
5 comments, last by Brian_2000 23 years, 2 months ago
Ive got VS6 and ive downloaded DX8 SDK, and i got the bestest idea for a game!! I just need a little help on DX8 programming, like where do i place everything, or is there a website with a tutorial telling me why i should init something, and as im making a game, where do i place the main code. This is going to be made in Windows. I hope this aint too much to ask... Edited by - felisandria on February 15, 2001 6:53:52 PM
MUD! MUD! MMMMMUUUUUUUUDDDDD!
Advertisement
Sounds to me like you need to go to barnes and noble or borders and get a book on windows programming in c++ as well as directx8 game programming. You can learn a little bit of that stuff from the internet, from tutorials, etc... but in the end, a book made of paper will suit your needs best. the only reason is, nobody has spent the time necessary to create a tuturial or a book online that goes in-depth into what you need to know, and walk you through *everything* step-by-step. but a book that''s been in the making for a year or so will probably have what you need. if you want to learn directX and windows programming, go to the book store and look at Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus. It talks about windows programming using the win32 api, and directX 6.1 i think. it''s not as up to date as a book on direct x8, but if you know 6.1, you can just use MSDN to show you how to do X8.
farmersckn
Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future. Today is a gift, that is why we call it the present.
click here

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
I already know some C++ i still haven''t gotten round to reading up on classes ad stuff but i understand what OOP is. I know where the grapghics goes but i don''t know where to put the mian coding...
www.halfpricecomputerbooks.com

really! everything half the price you''d find at amazon.com, etc.

I sure hope it''s reliable, because I just ordered Tricks Of The Windows Game Programming Gurus from this site. I can''t wait till I get it! I''ve been doing C++ for over two years now but this will be my first programming reference besides the text book

anyway, enough ranting for me
"Be that word our sign in parting, bird or fiend!" I shrieked, upstarting —"Get thee back into the tempest and the Night''s Plutonian shore!-just 2 of 96 lines from E.A.P.'s "the Raven"
I got the directX 7 programming bible from amazon for $15. This also comes with a directX 7 SDK with many examples you can look at.

later
anonymous poster i thought you knew everything? you always sound like some mathamatical genius talking about 3d math and such what. i dont know whatever. i suggest you buy tricks of win game programming guru
bad!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement