mipmapping with FBO's

Started by
5 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 17 years, 10 months ago
Has anyone here seen a huge slow down in FPS when using glGenerateMipmapEXT? I am not happy with the fps drop when I use mipmaps with my FBO's. Anyone else seen this behavior? and if not what are you doing that I am not! :) Thanks
Advertisement
I'm not sure what I'm doing that you're not doing, but I've never seen this behavior. In fact, my code speeds up when I use glGenerateMipmapEXT (as it should, because mipmapped textures fit into cache better). If I could gander a guess, I'd say you might not be using a square power of two framebuffer.
void FBO::ShutdownBuffer(void){	glBindFramebufferEXT(GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT, 0);	if(mipmapping)	{        for(unsigned int x = 0; x < numColorTextures; x++)		{			glBindTexture(texture_target, colortextures[x]);            glGenerateMipmapEXT(texture_target);		}		glBindTexture(texture_target, depthtexture);		glGenerateMipmapEXT(texture_target);	}}

thats the rendering code... and the sizes are 1024x1024
u should see a slowdown, so how much of a slowdown (5-20% i expect is normal) how much are u seeing? is it major eg ~10x if so post your texture type
well I drop from 40-45 to 0-4 fps...

settings
if I use GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_LINEAR or GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR no difference.
GL_LINEAR is GL_TEXTURE_MAG_FILTER. So I am unsure what is going on.
Sounds like a drop to software. Are you sure your card supports the extension? It might be software emulated for some bizarre reason..
Quote:Original post by MARS_999
well I drop from 40-45 to 0-4 fps...

ok, thats a hell of a hit...

How about trying it sans mipmaps first, then add colour mipmap generation back, one at a time, then remove and do depth only and finally put them all back and see where your fps bombs out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement