derived classes and new-delete

Started by
4 comments, last by ratbag_mc 17 years, 11 months ago
hey all, just a quicky this one: i have a base class "BaseObject" which i have derived others from - "MeshInstance" and "SpriteInstance". if i have two pointers to the same object:

BaseObject *ptrbase;             //imagine pointer is pointing to something (i.e. not NULL)
MeshInstance *ptrmesh = ptrbase; //now both point to the same thing
what happens if i do:

delete ptrbase;
?? i was just wondering if this removes all memory including that which is occupied by members in MeshInstance since it is using the BaseObject pointer rather than if i had done delete ptrmesh; ... i just thought about it and wasn't sure (plus couldn't find the answer anywhere). thanks for any info,
the_moo
Advertisement
yep, it should

i think you need a dynamic_cast in there somewhere too, but that's not the point.
It will, but only if you have a virtual destructor.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

cool thanks!
that was what i thought from what i read but nothing actually told me exactly - thanks!
the_moo
Sorry, late addon: The virtual destructor needs to be in the bottommost class instance of course. Doesn't hurt to define it virtual in derived classes as well.

Fruny: Ftagn! Ia! Ia! std::time_put_byname! Mglui naflftagn std::codecvt eY'ha-nthlei!,char,mbstate_t>

Quote:Original post by Endurion
It will, but only if you have a virtual destructor.

Assuming that the code is something like:

#include <iostream>class BaseObject{  int mTemp;  public:  BaseObject() : mTemp(1) {}  ~BaseObject()  { std::cout << mTemp << std::endl; }  virtual void justForPolymorphism(void){ }};class DerivedObject: public BaseObject{  int mTemp;  public:  DerivedObject() : BaseObject(), mTemp(2) {}  ~DerivedObject()  { std::cout << mTemp << std::endl; }};int main(void){  BaseObject* baseObjectPtr = new BaseObject();  DerivedObject* derivedObjectPtr = dynamic_cast<DerivedObject*>(baseObjectPtr );  if(derivedObjectPtr == 0){ std::cout << "CAN'T DYNAMICALLY CAST THE BaseObject POINTER!" << std::endl; }  delete baseObjectPtr; // OK, Prints 1  system("PAUSE");}

It will not, in fact, need a virtual destructor in BaseObject to delete the baseObject data. This is because baseObjectPtr is being deleted, not derivedObjectPtr.

However, if the above main function was:

int main(void){  DerivedObject* derivedObjectPtr = new DerivedObject();  BaseObject * baseObjectPtr = derivedObjectPtr;  delete baseObjectPtr; // Prints 1 BUT DOES NOT PRINT 2! Did not delete the DerivedObject data!  system("PAUSE");}

You would definately need a virtual base destructor in order to delete the derived objects data (and you should always have one, if a class will ever be inherited from).

In reply to the original question then:
1. You cannot just assign a base class pointer to a derived class pointer, you must use dynamic_cast.
1.1 You can't dynamically cast a base object pointer to a derived object pointer, if the data pointed to by the base pointer is not derived object data.

2. Deleting the ptrbase is fine. If ptrbase in fact points to MeshInstance data, then BaseObject MUST have a virtual destructor to destroy the MeshInstance specific data.

3. If assigning ptrbase to ptrmesh (through dynamic_cast) succeeded, then deleting ptrbase will result in ptrmesh pointing to bad data. If you then assigned something else to ptrbase, ptrmesh would still point to bad data.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement