Dev C++ Help!!!!

Started by
6 comments, last by TimmyG 23 years, 2 months ago
I am pretty new to programming. I heard good things about Dev C++ so I downloaded it. Whenever I try to Compile anything it says cannot open resource file or whatever what can I do. Please help me out Edited by - TimmyG on February 15, 2001 8:59:19 PM
Advertisement
what exactly are you trying to compile?

the default templates? (new/project/...)
code that you''ve written yourself?
a windows app, a console app?
code that you''ve downloaded somewhere?

resource files are usually used for windowed apps, but if you''re just starting out, i suggest that you spend some time with console apps first...
OK i tryed to compile a console app but it said the same thing.
The exact error is Cannot Open File D:\Tim's\BIN\Resource.msg.
Could It be that I have other thing in the directory BIN.
I think it was used for another compile that I downloaded that didn't work.

I forgot to mention that the console app was just blank

Edited by - TimmyG on February 16, 2001 5:05:17 PM
that might be the problem, i don''t know of any Resource.msg

have you created a new project? just rewriting the code won''t help, because there are project-specific settings, also put each project in it''s own folder

BTW: don''t forget that dev-c++ doesn''t pause when the program stops, like MSVC++ (and the templates suck)

#include <iostream>#include <cstdlib>using namespace std;////////////////////////////////////////////////////int main(){    cout << "hello!" << endl;    //dev-C++ doesn''t pause automatically at the end    system("pause");    return 0;}  
I use devC++4, and have been learning c++ for about 3 months now, What are TEMPLATES??!
the templates that i was refering to have nothing to do with C++ templates

when you go new/project you can choose between a number of templates, a project that has some code in it that gets you started, like the 'OpenGL template'

and if you mean C++ templates: they allow you to write a class or function that uses generic variable types, then when you use that function, the compiler automatically fills in the variable type (actually it generates different functions for each type)

for example:

#include <iostream>using namespace std;////////////////////////////////////////////////template<class Type>Type add( Type par1, Type par2 ){	return par1 + par2;}//----------------------------------------------int main(){	int int1 = 5, int2 = 10;	double dbl1 = 1.5, dbl2 = 4.0;	//add two integers	cout << add( int1, int2 ) << endl;	//add two doubles	cout << add( dbl1, dbl2 ) << endl;	return 0;}    

C++ templates are an advanced topic, it might not seem that way because of this very simple example, but it gets a lot harder when you making template classes

Edited by - kvh on February 18, 2001 8:30:18 AM
When ever I try to use the Setup Creator in Dev C++ 4 it gives me an error. Anyone else have this problem?

-----------------------
Hail to the king, baby.
-----
For the person, that had a problem with the setup creator. It is some what of a add-on it''s called Setup Creator(the download), you download it from www.bloodshed.net and follow the direction to make it you, it worked for me just fine.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement