New to gamedev.net (a lack of critical thinking)

Started by
15 comments, last by tschaefer 23 years, 2 months ago
How about a beginners forum to compliment the Start Here link at the GDnet home page?
Advertisement
Now...who will moderate the forum? *evilgrin* Who disagreed with me in the last post...? heh heh
sigh - I am sick and tired of ppl on messageboards the world over complaining about ppl asking questions. People have to learn somewhere, and granted, usually the answer could be found on somewhere like msdn (for this forum anyway), but the forum is here for just that purpose. And the people who can answer the questions are hardly being done a disservice - when they answer the question, they are consolidating something in their mind, which is never a bad thing.

Of course, developing a 3d game solo as the first game u''ve created is a bit too ambitious i would think, if the mistakes learnt in making the attempt are digested, then something good has come of it.

Like i said this is not just a problem on this board, but most every board i''ve seen - "oh dont ask questions, search for the answer elsewhere" -wtf is that? would u do that in real life even if u knew the answer?

its a messageboard ffs, and ppl can ask questions, and should be able to get straight asnwers, no matter whereelse the answer may lie

Peasant:>"Help Help Im being repressed!"

King Arthur:>"Bloody Peasant!"
******************************Peasant:>"Help Help Im being repressed!"King Arthur:>"Bloody Peasant!"
I used to work tech support for HP. I would get calls asking me how to burn Music CDs which obviously we don''t support. I had one where someone''s computer was locking up when copying a file to the floppy. Turns out the file was 3megs. I talked with one person for a good hour about computers. I think I refered the person to the library every five minutes. I got paid well so I didn''t really care. I was there to help so I did. Though alot of times if they had simply read the documentation they could have saved the phone call.

The Music CD one is a good example of a newbie who''s going to get flamed. The person had never used the CD burner before. The person had never downloaded an MP3 before. And the person had never converted an MP3 to a wav before. I spent a good 20 minutes walking through each step before she wanted to go because of the potential phone bill. So the person didn''t even realize the call was only regular long distance. I always want to ask those people "what phone company are you using?"

It''s nice that newbies are ambitious. But that doesn''t make them dedicated. All they want is an end result when what they need is to learn the first concepts. I refer people like that to QuickBASIC. Quick and easy to start making simple games to learn concepts. Then learn another language and translate the demos and games made in BASIC.

I did my first 3d demo in BASIC. No pespective but you can draw and move around a wireframe object as well as rotate it on any axis. Same with 2d. You could move around and rotate a solid filled map. You would always move n,e,s,w according to the screen regardless of the rotation of the map.

I can understand why people just flame the newbies. I just ignore them if they ask questions that they don''t have the prerequisites for. You can''t really do much else but say "take a programming class."

Ben
http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com

If no "dumbasses" posted, there would be about 2 or 3 new topics a week. Sadly, I can''t think of an example of such a topic, but there are some. On GameDev, I answer questions here and there, mostly when one is either quick to answer, or if many answers by other people are just disgustingly wrong.

It is nice to read what people say on GameDev to see how far you''ve come in your programming career. Hopefully, everyone who reads this is past the "making a game like QuakeIII (only better) in Visual Basic (which can handle it, because computers are so fast these days.) Here''s our page: [followed by a link to geocities with a [adjective][noun] software logo.]"

But really, is there a secret area on GameDev where non-newbies get to chat about this-and-that? (I can keep a secret!) Or are these topics to remain far and few between the myriad fluff here?

I do enjoy GameDev though... it keeps me in the game developing mood just to check it now and then, so thanks guys.

.travois.
Design Patterns

Magmai Kai Holmlor
- The disgruntled & disillusioned
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
Its true that there''s a lot of "newbie" people here...They don''t bother me so much unless they are clueless AND have a huge ego (always a bad combination).

Its true that these forums would benefit from better FAQs. If I never see someone ask "Which should I use, OpenGL or D3D?" (particularly if they do so without giving any information as to what their eventual goals are) again I would be very happy.

However, its pretty easy to mentally weed out the ''noise'' and just focus on the good topics, and they do appear here from time to time...

Also, for what its worth (didn''t read the original thread on this, I''m just reponding to tschaefer''s first post), just checking in your debugger to see if delete is assigned a NULL isn''t a particularly good way to decide whether or not to depend on that behavior. Things like that can and sometimes are very compiler specific. Maybe the functionaliy works on your compiler, but not others. Maybe the functionality doesn''t work on your compiler (due to a compiler bug) but works on others.

Unless you want to spend hours combing through the ANSI C++ standard it is often useful to ask these types of questions online as other people (those who have implemented ANSI C++ compilers, for example) may know the answer already.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement