June 2006 DirectX SDK is ready for download

Started by
32 comments, last by dejangex 17 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by Demirug
PIX introduces a new feature called pixel history. When investigating a single frame capture in PIX, you can select a pixel in a render target or surface and choose to debug the pixel. When this option is selected, everything that touched the pixel in the frame is displayed even if it fails a test like depth, alpha, or stencil. It shows the value of the pixel coming out of the pixel shader and the Framebuffer value for each primitive that affects the pixel. See Pixel History.

WOOOOOOO!

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by superpig
PIX introduces a new feature called pixel history. When investigating a single frame capture in PIX, you can select a pixel in a render target or surface and choose to debug the pixel. When this option is selected, everything that touched the pixel in the frame is displayed even if it fails a test like depth, alpha, or stencil. It shows the value of the pixel coming out of the pixel shader and the Framebuffer value for each primitive that affects the pixel. See Pixel History.

WOOOOOOO!

Hey, you were telling me way back that a similar system is used for PIX for Xbox. Is that really the same thing?!
Quote:Original post by Cypher19

WOOOOOOO!

Hey, you were telling me way back that a similar system is used for PIX for Xbox. Is that really the same thing?!

It is the very same indeedy :-)

I'm going to cover a quick demo of it on my blog shortly, once I get past some annoying network problems.
David "LetsKillDave" WellerNVIDIA Developer Programs ManagerPersonal blog http://letskilldave.comPersonal Twitterfeed: letskilldaveNVIDIA Developer Announcements Twitterfeed: nvidiadeveloper (clever name, eh? :-)
At last! Just finished downloading Vista Beta2 and DXSDK June (almost 3.5GB total download). Now I have to install everything.

Now, I know that the answer will probably be NO but I still have to ask. As the main Vista GUI is built over DX9, will I still be able to program my DX9 engine using Vista + DX9SDK + Visual Studio Express 2005 + Platform SDK? Or should I start moving it to DX10 and .Net?

Luck!
Guimo

You can develop D3D9 apps on vista but I recommend keeping a XP as dual boot because the D3D9 drivers are still in beta too.

The primary API for D3D10 is unmanaged. To be more exact the current beta doesn’t even contain a managed version. I currently update my own managed layer for D3D10 to the changes in beta 2.

Before you start with D3D10 you should make sure that you understand the consequences of such a step.
only got 1 more week of microsoft intership left. I have 3 machines i can play around with. Ive had beta 2 vista installed with april sdk for a few weeks now, i got a dx10 render loop working, no issues encountered. :)

cool enough i upgraded windows xp FRENCH to windows vista english. No problems. Thats kind of impressive from a design pov.
--------------------------------Dr Cox: "People are ***tard coated ***tards with ***tard filling."
Quote:Original post by LetsKillDave
Quote:Original post by Cypher19

WOOOOOOO!

It is the very same indeedy :-)

I'm going to cover a quick demo of it on my blog shortly, once I get past some annoying network problems.

As promised, I finally wrote about it on my blog site, letskilldave.com. Lots of pics, not a lot of text, and definitely easily consumable regardless of your skill level.

David "LetsKillDave" WellerNVIDIA Developer Programs ManagerPersonal blog http://letskilldave.comPersonal Twitterfeed: letskilldaveNVIDIA Developer Announcements Twitterfeed: nvidiadeveloper (clever name, eh? :-)
Quote:Original post by LetsKillDave
As promised, I finally wrote about it on my blog site, letskilldave.com. Lots of pics, not a lot of text, and definitely easily consumable regardless of your skill level.
Nice write up!

Can anyone comment on the performance of pixel history? One thing I've noted about PIX in the past (mostly with call-stream captures) is that clicking on an event requires PIX to re-render everything which means "browsing" the events can get exceptionally slow... does it have to re-render stuff for pixel history?

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

> Can anyone comment on the performance of pixel history?

Hi Jack,

The pixel history feature requires that the PIXRun file contain a single-frame capture from the target app, not a full call stream. So it won't re-execute your entire app from frame 1 -- just that single frame.

However, it won't crank through the frame quite as fast as your original app did, because it needs to do some subdivision and testing to determine exactly which primitives within each draw call impacted the pixel, which part of the pipeline caused the pixel to be rejected, etc.

In short, it seems fast enough to be non-painful for interactive exploration of an app's performance. Let me know if you are discovering otherwise!

Thanks,
-Mike
PIX Developer
Quote:Original post by Riviera Kid
only got 1 more week of microsoft intership left. I have 3 machines i can play around with. Ive had beta 2 vista installed with april sdk for a few weeks now, i got a dx10 render loop working, no issues encountered. :)

ahhh soo lucky; i'm gonna be trying for the internship with microsoft next year, although i doubt i'll get it (all the microsoft people seem to be from really amazing schools, noone from KU)

Anyway, i've hardly gotten a hold of d3d9 yet... now 10 is coming out; ahh, i shouldn't have bought all those books :D

anyway i'm pretty excited, i'll have to get into more of this shader stuff soon

Thanks for the update!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement