C Compiler

Started by
21 comments, last by Ravuya 17 years, 10 months ago
Would someone please provide me with the name of a good well-working C compiler? *I've already searched Google(at least 5 times)*
Advertisement
For what platform? Do you want a free compiler, or do you not mind paying for it? Do you need an IDE or is a command line compiler fine?
Windows, free, don't need an IDE
Pelles C for Windows
lcc-win32

They both come with IDE's but can be used at the command line as well.
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
Dev-Cpp, it is great. It can be used both as an IDE and as a command line tool and it can be told to support traditional C.
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.
I can name you 3, each worthy of your inspection and each with its own merits:

MinGW (GCC for Windows)
--- IDE : Code::Blocks, DevC++

Microsoft Compiler (version 7.1)
--- IDE : Code::Blocks, Visual C++ 2003

Microsoft Compiler (version 8)
--- IDE: Visual C++ 2005 Express

I'm pretty sure they will all compile C code, but I'm not sure.
Even though I might be wrong, I don't think the Visual C++ compiler compiles C (and please don't think you can write all C in C++...).
i have tried evryone of these in the past and sadly none of them appeal to me
actually, i dont know what ICC is like at all because i installed it and it isnt anywhere on my computer!
<gasp>

then i'm affraid you have tried and all of the "best" ones available. Perhaps you should try borland's Turbo C 2.01 available for download from their "museum". I used it for years before switching to Dev-Cpp
There was a saying we had in college: Those who walk into the engineering building are never quite the same when they walk out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement