C Compiler

Started by
21 comments, last by Ravuya 17 years, 11 months ago
never mind that last statement. i found it
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by agi_shi
Even though I might be wrong, I don't think the Visual C++ compiler compiles C (and please don't think you can write all C in C++...).

MSVC has a C compilation mode, though it only really supports C89.
I personally recommend what I use, djgpp. It is a bare-bones gcc and g++ pair (command line only) that works on Windows (without Cygwin or anything) and is free.
Doesn't djgpp produces DOS mode executablees? Then why to use it, when you have mingw (which is the same compiler - gcc, only you get windows target executalbes).
There's also tcc (http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/tcc/). I never use it but Fabrice Bellard is well known to be a great programmer.
Quote:Original post by annoyer101
Windows, free, don't need an IDE

mingw-gcc ( http://mingw.org/ )

--------

somewhere in your project settings of VS-project you can set that everything is compiled as "c"-code ... and it does raise appropriate errors on wrong code ^_^
€: sikrane said it :(
www.digitalmars.com well worth a look.
Even though I might be wrong, I don't think the Visual C++ compiler compiles C (and please don't think you can write all C in C++...).

All the VC++ compilers I know of (from VC++1.52 to the last version) compiles C programs. That's a good thing because there is still a lot of Windows programs that are written in pure C :)

In the Project Properties -> C++ -> Advanced -> Compile As, select Compile as C code (/TC).

Regards,
Quote:Original post by annoyer101
i have tried evryone of these in the past and sadly none of them appeal to me

Now for the million dollar question: Why don't these "appeal" to you?
Quote:Original post by Emmanuel Deloget

All the VC++ compilers I know of (from VC++1.52 to the last version) compiles C programs. That's a good thing because there is still a lot of Windows programs that are written in pure C :)

In the Project Properties -> C++ -> Advanced -> Compile As, select Compile as C code (/TC).

Regards,

I think he's referring to C99. C++ is essentially a superset of C89, isn't it? If that's true, I would hope that all C++ compilers are C(89) compilers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement