I wanna make a mario game

Started by
10 comments, last by ouraqt 17 years, 9 months ago
We've got "do it the hard way" and we have "use a drag-n-drop tool".

Why not the middle ground?

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by shadowisadog
Using GameMaker is a silly idea, and a waste of time. Sure you could make a Mario game easier in GameMaker, however what is the point? You are not learning anything worthwhile from the process, and you are just making another fan game!

If you have to make a Mario game, I advise you to do it the hardest way possible, as the stuff you learn will make it worth the time.

Actually, Game Maker is an extremely powerful tool with a built in scripting language that allows for things like file manipulation, registry access, etc. I completely recommend it for beginners.

Learning C++ is NOT an easy task if you are new to programming. Game Maker's language closely resembles the syntax of C/C++ and it will introduce you to progrmming concepts like variables/arrays, functions (called 'scripts' in GM), etc. Plus, there's a great online community of Game Maker patrons. I advise you to try it out - and it's got a built-in level editor ('room editor')! Also it's object oriented (kinda) so it'll help you learn C++.

Actually I made a simple 2-D engine that supports things like alpha-blending and stuff. It's a great tool - and it allows you to use tilesets, too! It used C++/DirecX9. I made an audio engine to accompany it that uses OpenAL, a cross-platform audio engine, that supports 3-D positional audio (as in, if you make an FPS and someone shoots behind you, you will hear it come from behind you if you have surround sound.)...I've never had a problem with either one. Oh...I made an input library as well - it simplifies getting data from the keyboard/mouse, using DirectX. Email me if yu want them (ouraqt@gmail.com). Wow...maybe I should make a game too.

I'm working on a 3D engine right now - I'll give that away once I finish it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement