Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

incorrect bounding box in irrlicht for bones-skinned .x

Started by karelium Jun 20, 2006 at 12:06 PM 2 replies 1.8k views
Original Post
karelium
karelium
hi, I'm newbie with Irrlicht. When I export any static mesh supported by Irrlicht, the engine gives me the bounding boxes correct, as far as I know, it's the smallest 3d box surrounding all the geometry. The problem arrises when I use any animated .X exported by either DeepExploration or 3dsmax (through Panda Exporter or X-File (Q3D) export plugins). I guess the problem is with the bounding box calculations in irrlicht, may be .x containing bones are converted to many SceneNode not as single node (one per bone and geometry) but calculations take into account only the first node generated. of course, it works ok for single meshes, not for one-to-many scene nodes. To have correct bounding boxes is very important because thay are the base of many collision tests, cursor hit tests, and other stuff in Irrlicht. Does anybody has the same problem than me? any suggestions or solutions?
Bob III
Bob III
Are you asking this on the Irrlicht forums and/or other relevant places? This seems a bit of a middleware- & tools-specific use issue and not so much about "Game Programming".

Not to scare away anyone who is able to help! But I think you'll have better luck elsewhere.
"That''s to do with the day I finally realized the world had gone totally mad and built the Asylum to put it in, poor thing, and hoped it would get better."-Wonko the SaneSo Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
AsOne
AsOne
Maybe you want to be using ISceneNode::getTransformedBoundingBox() instead of ISceneNode::getBoundingBox()?

Can you explain what isn't working due to the bounding boxes?
karelium
karelium
Bob III, I'll drop the question in other, more related forum, sorry.

AsOne, may be it's a middleware issue. The problem is shown in this way: turning "debugInfo" on for the ISceneNode shows a box not covering all the mesh but a small box, it is well-aligned and well-proportioned as the expected bbox but very small. getTransformedBox doesn't work neither.

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.