Visual C++ or C++?

Started by
4 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 10 months ago
Whats a better language to learn Standard C++ or Visual C++ the only real difference i noticed is Visual C++ you can create a GUI with. Are they both the same language with minor differences? I've herd some other minor diffrences also like with the registry and syntax. Then somone recommened Dev-cpp ? Any Recommendations?
Advertisement
Visual C++ and Dev-C++ aren't variants of C++, rather they are IDEs or Integrated Development Environments. Basically they are a whole set of tools wrapped together to make it easy to write C++ programs. If you wanted to you could write C++ programs in a simple text editor and compile them manually - I do this with small programs all the time using the compiler g++.

All of these IDEs contain compilers will compile ANSI C++ (that is, proper C++ formatted according to the official guidelines), but often the compilers contained within the IDEs will have extra instructions which may or may not be useful. Many IDEs will let you choose your compilers however; there's a fair variety in compilers too (although they all compile ANSI C++, or at least they should)!

From what I've read, Microsoft Visual C++ is regarded as one of the best IDEs available for ease of use, but Dev-C++ and Code::Blocks are good choices too. Given you can try out Dev-C++ and Code::Blocks for free, and I think there's still a free version of Visual C++ available (not sure about the links, sorry!) you can try out a few good IDEs to see which you like the best.

I use Code::Blocks at the moment, but that's just because I'm used to it.
To add on to the previous poster's comment, you can get Visual C++ Express (which is free) here I just downloaded and installed it today - it is a very nice IDE.
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
I prefer Visual Studious C++ vastly over both Code::Blocks and Dev-Cpp. However, I do use Code::Blocks(which I prefer over Dev-CPP) to compile the release build (using MinGW for compiler). I haven't been able to figure out how to get a Visual C++ program running on other computers, so I just develop on VS and then release with C::B.

Recent Visual Studios has some more features such as foreach-like iterators for arrays/lists, minor tweaks in allowed syntax(like allowing double '<' without a space when doing some template stuffs), and other things. Microsoft's page should have more information. It still is C++ though, and I tend to completely ignore these features simply because they are not portable.
Using the IDE Visual C++ does not mean you are not using ISO Standard C++, however when a recruiter or resume lists Visual C++, they do not mean just experience writing C++ using the Visual C++ IDE as a glorified text editor with debugging, they mean being able to leverage the Microsoft tool suite and library for building Windows applications effectively. For instance knowing how to use embedded resources, manage and link projects, use the Visual Forms designers and property editors, and usually one or more of Win32 / MFC / COM / ATL or .NET will be expected as well (.NET mainly these days - with some use of Win32 still relevant).

I use the Visual Studio IDE both when writing cross-platform standard C++ for my hobby projects, when creating Win32 / DirectX projects such as my games, and when creating .NET projects for work.

Since Visual C++ 7.1 (2003) the compiler is one of the more standard compliant choices, and fairly nice to work in.
Visual studio c++ express is free, c++ standard compliant, uses the same optimizing compiler as the professional versions *and* have the best API support for *the* major OS in the world (namely windows). There is no exuse whatsoever, use VS Express!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement