Need an Algorithm in O(n^n)

Started by
31 comments, last by Thygrrr 17 years, 9 months ago
Hi there, I wanna a sample algorithm that take O(n^n) 'Big O' for runnig time. Is there this algorithm ?!?!?
--Mojtaba--
Advertisement
let waste_time n =   let vector = Array.make (n-1) 0 in  let rec repeat z =     let i = ref 0 in    while i < (n-1) && vector.(i) = n do      vector.(i) = 0; incr i    done;    if !i = (n-1) then z else (vector.(i) <- vector.(i) + 1; repeat (not z))  in repeat false;;

Determines if n (n-1) is odd or even by counting up to n (n-1) one at a time. Each addition takes an average of n, which gives O(n n) time complexity.
Thanks dear friend.
Can you give me more information about your algorithm ?
If possible convert this algorithm to C++ or VB language mode.
--Mojtaba--
Isn't most of mathematically provable solutions of Hamilltonial problems a high order O algorithm?

Give him rather usefull real live situation that requires O(n^n).

Actually it might be rather easy, geometry algorithms are measured by worst case situation, and many of simpler geometry algorithms are high order.

strlen
Quote:Original post by BrianL
strlen

is O(n) for sure, for any given input it only depends on the size as the increment operation is constant time ;)

What you are looking for is an algorithm that requires to look at the whole input for any input element that is processed - and such extremly wasteful algorithms are not too common.
Quote:Original post by Raghar
Isn't most of mathematically provable solutions of Hamilltonial problems a high order O algorithm?

Give him rather usefull real live situation that requires O(n^n).

I don't really think an O(n n) complexity can qualify as useful. Besides, these are quite complex to describe.

Quote:Actually it might be rather easy, geometry algorithms are measured by worst case situation, and many of simpler geometry algorithms are high order.

I was under the impression that they are mostly quadratic or cubic in complexity, and were usuallly measured by their average complexity (including an initial randomization).

Haha, I totally misread the topic as looking for an O(n) algorithm. So sorry about that! Thats what I get for responding to a topic on my way out the door.

I don't know of any N^N algorithms off hand. Does that class even have a name? I can't think of a case where I have encountered it - if I did, it would probably still be running. ;)
Helloooo homework.
No this isn't my homework!!!
(My homework is worse than it usually [lol])

I interested in this topic,because i think about this before and couldn't found a algorithm that worse than O(n!).
--Mojtaba--

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement