C++ refactoring tools?

Started by
18 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 9 months ago
Anyone know of any good refactoring tools for C++? I know Eclipse has some, but I'm stuck with VS2005 here, so it's either got to be a plugin or a standalone tool. The only one I can find is Ref++, which isn't free but it isn't too expensive either. I'm baffled that there doesn't seem to be more available. Even if I relax my restrictions the only ones that turn up are an Emac plugin (ick), Eclipse (works, but minimal at the moment) and SlickEdit (supposedly buggy as hell). Don't C++ users refactor their code? [rolleyes]
Advertisement

Short answer: C++ is probably the most difficult programming language to parse (does anyone know a more complicated language anyway?). This leads to the lack of automated tools. I'd *love to* refactor my C++ code the way I do Java code in Eclipse, but I understand that writing such tools is a major pain, especially with templates.

-- Mikko
Thats not an answer, thats an excuse. :P

Yes I know how tricky C++ is to parse, especially when you start dealing with the more obscure areas of templates and whatnot, but it seems like no-one is even interested in one, never mind actually trying to make it work.
Have a look at Whole Tomato the beta of their next version has a whole bunch of refactoring stuff for Visual Studio.
Quote:Original post by spookycat
Have a look at Whole Tomato the beta of their next version has a whole bunch of refactoring stuff for Visual Studio.

Ha, I'll believe that when I see it. Visual Assist is buggy as hell and deeply unstable, I wouldn't trust it to get even of the most simple of refactorings right.

In other news, I've just been trying Ref++ and it can't even do a rename class correctly. Ho hum.
Quote:Original post by OrangyTang
Visual Assist is buggy as hell and deeply unstable

You obviously have no clue what you're talking about.

Cant say Ive ever had any problems with Visual Assist, I havnt used the refactoring version yet but it is used by other coders here and they seem convinced by its worth :)
Quote:Original post by OrangyTang

Ha, I'll believe that when I see it. Visual Assist is buggy as hell and deeply unstable, I wouldn't trust it to get even of the most simple of refactorings right.

In other news, I've just been trying Ref++ and it can't even do a rename class correctly. Ho hum.

My experiences with Visual Assist X has been very positive. Visual slickedit includes some refactoring tools but obviously is not VS2005 based.
Cant say Ive ever had any problems with Visual Assist, I havnt used the refactoring version yet but it is used by other coders here and they seem convinced by its worth :)

The cpp->h switching gets confused easily if you've got mapped drives, likewise with 'go to definition'. 'Go to definition' also gets confused with namespaces and can't tell distinct classes with the same name apart. And the on-the-fly error reporting gets out of sync at the drop of a hat.

(Although to be fair, the latest version has stopped randomly disabling itself for no reason, so at least it's stable now)
There has been a great discussion about refactoring tools on sweng-gamedev some days ago. You can find the archives here.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement