Space 4X Game (original, huh?)

Started by
10 comments, last by Inverurie Jones 17 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by CharlesFXD
1)no one is saying that. do todays world leaders sit around in their offices doing nothing? that is hardly the case. i have never heard an ex president say "boy, that job was borring! i should have stayed in congress."
no, they say the job was tough, rewarding, stressful. most of all they say they loved the job.

Yes, but my point is that they *don't* get to choose where that farm should be built, what your next-gen spaceships should look like, or how to fight that battle.
I never said it'd be too easy for the player if you tried to make a "president-simulator", I said it'd be boring.
Think about what the *player* would experience.
He'd get to choose dialogue options, and that's basically it. He could summon his military leader, pick the "Declare war on that race" option, then pick the "mobilize the army at planet X", or "Focus on taking out objective Y" options.

What he wouldn't get to do is actually *control* anything, or actually interact with the game. Or have any direct involvement with the events in the game. He wouldn't be able to enjoy defending his planet against superior forces. Instead, he'd get a simple text dialogue (Which he's seen a dozen times before) which says something like "My lord, we've managed to fight off the forces at planet Z. They outnumbered us, and we took heavy losses, but we prevailed. <click here for tactical report>"

Quote:but it would be a unique slant on empire building games.

But unique doesn't neccesarily translate into "Good" or "fun".
Also, it's not that unique. MOO3 tried to do the same, and fell into the same trap. Macromanagement is cool, but there has to be room for some actual achievements and involvement for the player.

Quote:2)interaction and suspension of disbelief if "Condi's" words were well chosen. that is better than you doing all the grunt work.

Why do you get more interaction out of saying "Second-in-command, try to make a truce with those people", as compared to "Leader of those people, I'd like to make a truce"

Yes, I'm aware it's "how real governments work", but that's not the issue.
I'm just pointing out that basically, the mechanic would be the same. Main difference would be that instead of talking directly to the purple tentacled thing, you talk to your fellow <own race here> person and tell them what to say to the purple tentacled thing. Sure, it could work just as well, but it's hardly a radical change in gameplay, and it wouldn't revolutionize the genre.
Advertisement
Interesting feedback. Thanks, guys.

I certainly have worried about swamping the player, but I've thought of a (not-so-original) countermeasure to that: administrative heirarchy. Got only one city? Manage it yourself. Got a few? How about leaving their governors/mayors/provosts to get on with it, issuing them only general instructions. Got a few worlds? Planetary governors/ parliaments/ councils can handle that. Military ranks will function in a similar way. Depending on how much delegating the player does, it could start off like Tropico and end up like Hearts of Iron...

What I like about this is that it lets the player decide whether it is a city-builder, a wargame or both depending on what he decides to delegate.

As for being realtime, I may have to work out something there.

IJ

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement