In dire need of experienced cooks!

Started by
20 comments, last by GKW 17 years, 9 months ago
I love french toast. I absolutely love it. And for the past month or so, I've been trying so hard to replicate IHOP's French Toast. I've gotten the recipe/ingrediants that they use, and said that they use either Texas Toast or Egg Bread as the bread. There is a picture of exactly what I wish to replicate. Now, from what I've seen and read, I believe that is texas toast. Texas toast have soft sides, soft center, and being thick to absorb the eggs, and other ingrediants used in french toast. If it is texas toast, what kind is it? I've heard most texas toast comes with garlic and buttered, do I want to find a buttered version, or just a no-garlic no-butter no-anything texas toast? And would I be able to find it at say Tom Thumb, Krogers, Albertsons? Lastly, how exactly do you cook it? I've tried before, you mix the ingrediants together, then dip the bread in one side, flip it, and put it on the skillet, but it just doesn't seem right. From the picture, it looks like the ingrediants are INSIDE the bread.
Advertisement
Looks like texas toast to me. Don't think it will make too much difference if you use plain or buttered, just don't use garlic or sourdough. (Myself, I just use regular white bread.) The ingredients are definitely not in the bread, all french toast except the frozen precooked kind is made by dipping the bread in a vanilla-egg-sugar mix. Usually there's a little cinnamon or cloves too, and I believe some variations contain butter. If yours isn't coming out right, you probably need to soak the bread in the mix longer, then let it drip dry a bit before putting it in the pan.

I have a recipie for a french toast/bread pudding casserole thing if you would like it. [smile]

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Quote:Original post by sunandshadow
I have a recipie for a french toast/bread pudding casserole thing if you would like it. [smile]

YES!

[sick] <- Imagine that's drool, not vomit
Quote:Original post by Way WalkerImagine that's drool, not vomit
*dies laughing*

Here you go:

BAKED FRENCH TOAST CASSEROLE

(Night before)
Slice a loaf of french bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each.
Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9x13 flat backing dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices.
Combine 8 large eggs, 2 cups half-and-half, 1 cup milk, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, 1 teas. vanilla, 1/4 teas. cinnamon, 1/4 teas nutmeg, and a dash of salt in a large bowl and wisk until blended, but not too bubbly.
Pour mixture over the bread slices, covering all evenly, and inbetween.
Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.

(Morning)
Combine 1/2 lb butter(2 sticks), 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup chopped pecans, 2 tablespoons light corn syrup, 1/2 teas. cinnamon, 1/2 teas. nutmeg; in a large bowl.

Spread topping over the bread and bake for 40 minutes.
Serve with Maple Syrup.

(from the Food Network)

Myself I make it with white bread and eat it with fruit cream cheese or warm vanilla sauce instead of syrup, but you could use texas toast just as well and eat it with whatever you like. [smile]

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I'm almost entirely sure the process of making french toast is:

• Mix eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and whatever else you want.
  • Saturate bread in the resulting mixture, then let excess drip off.
  • Fry the resulting mass.
  • Apply an unhealthy amount of syrup.
  • Eat.
  • Leave the mess for someone else to clean up.

Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
Sunandshadow's recipe sounds scrumptious, but for something quick and almost as tasty, mix up a couple eggs and a dash of milk and yes, soak the bread in it, just for a few seconds. You'll want some sort of flattish bowl to do this, although a small saucepan might work in a pinch.

Bread is like a sponge, so the egg/milk mixture does end up "inside" it if you do it right. Dipping it in briefly isn't enough. I don't think the bread type matters that much... just get something white that isn't too thinly sliced.

You'll want to be frying these in plenty of butter, by the way. :D
"Sweet, peaceful eyelash spiders! Live in love by the ocean of my eyes!" - Jennifer Diane Reitz
I just had ihop french toast this week - it really is quite good.

The best french toast I've ever had is made with egg bread. It's difficult to tell just from the picture though, what the ihop stuff is.

You don't want to soak the bread in the egg batter though - that will just make it soggy. You need to give it a quick dip then let it rest for a minute or two to let it soak in.
Ok, before I became an illustrious audio engineer, I was an illustrious cook for 5 years. I cooked food for 140 residents at a nursing home. 100 of which could eat regular (non-pureed) food. Every two to three weeks I would make about 120 French Toasts. I can't give you quantities of ingredients, you kind of have to play with that. But I used eggs and milk and cinnamon and not much else. The Vanilla and everything turned out to be overkill what with the things you would put on the toast after it's done. They laid on a flat grill covered in whatever oil they bought us that week. Butter would also be overkill but you can do it.

We used Texas Toast because it's thicker and DENSER than any other bread so it would soak the egg mixture properly and doesn't fall apart on the grill like regular bread.

And the first batch always came out a little funny. Either they would be on way longer than needed and only get slightly yellow, or they darkened way too quickly. Of course I was kinda making them as we go because they don't keep well all stacked up. It was more timing and the heating of the grill that had to line up.

I mention my way because it's most likely exactly the way an IHOP or whatever would do it. Texas Toast, Flat Grill, Oil not butter, probably a little cinnamon and possibly vanilla in the egg mix. Grill til splotchy golden brown. That's it.

Anyway you can eat them like pancakes with syrup or whatever, but we used to have this breakfast sausage in patties. I'd get two of those and make myself a yummy sausage sandwich. Or there's not much better than using two slices of french toast for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

And whoever said leave the mess to someone else, you're fired. French Toast days were the worst for cleanup. Actually, any day you had to use the grill was the worst for cleanup.

Man I remember having a grill coated with oil and I spilled my glass of water on it. Snap crackle die! Not only did it make the worst popping noise and splattered hot oil everywhere but the water started steaming up and taking some of the oil in the steam into the air. Then the pilots from the stove right next to it ignited the steam which ignited the whole flat grill. There's not much you can do in an grease fire like that except hope the flames don't reach the ANSIL system which is designed to SUCK THE AIR OUT OF THE ROOM IN THREE SECONDS to put out the fire. Which means if you can't react to the buzzer within three seconds you no longer have air to breathe. It will suck it right out of your lungs.

I'm sorry, you asked about French Toast. Hope you figure it out!

Tony
Oil? Like that pan greasing oill, or vegetable oil?

And any reason of oil over butter?
Probably because he can only cook so many at once, and if he used butter for the whole duration it would burn and taste not so great.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement