After Programming.....then what?

Started by
49 comments, last by pulpfist 17 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by Cyncro
Ok, well think about this, I'm 14, so I will start on windows games and homebrew, and any other games just as little things and projects, when I finish high school I'm going to go to a fine college on game development, and then try to get a job and well, it works it's way from there, but I have to get started, that's my point and to get started I've got to develop windows games and homebrew games. I guess I'm looking at DirectX and Win32?

Sure, DirectX and Win32 is fine, lots of the XBox games are just ported from a windows game to a XBox game. Which is not that hard, a few differences but not much seeing as it uses DirectX. Your college might not even have a developer kit, for console games, some do but not many. Often times people don't develop specifically with a developer kit for a console until they have got a job doing such a thing.
Advertisement
Ok that's great, (I favor the Xbox and Xbox 360's haha) but shoud I look into that book by J. Harbour?
Quote:Original post by Cyncro
Ok that's great, (I favor the Xbox and Xbox 360's haha) but shoud I look into that book by J. Harbour?

Which book is that the author could have made many?
Since you're 14, I assume you value the money you have. So my advice is that instead of rushing out and buying books, you try out the different APIs mentioned in this thread via online tutorials and examples. You don't have to master them, just try coding some things and see what seems better design wise.

I hate how in these "newbie" advice threads everyone only mentions whatever API/language they use. "Oh I learnt programming with Brainf*ck, you should too!" . Try things out, you have the time.
Quote:Original post by Scet
Since you're 14, I assume you value the money you have. So my advice is that instead of rushing out and buying books, you try out the different APIs mentioned in this thread via online tutorials and examples. You don't have to master them, just try coding some things and see what seems better design wise.

I hate how in these "newbie" advice threads everyone only mentions whatever API/language they use. "Oh I learnt programming with Brainf*ck, you should too!" . Try things out, you have the time.

Haha, that's great, but, actually lucky for me, my parents bought me my first book, and I think my mom said she has no problem paying for books and stuff, especially since I'm pursuing a dream :) But, I actually have no problem with different codes, but I'll take your advice and check out different things, and

@DevLiquidKnight
It's called Beginning Game Programming, as mentioned in an earlier post.

Quote:Original post by Scet

I don`t think you have to tell that. Young people get bored with same stuff pretty quickly, and then they start to look for something new...
But they obviously can`t decide what, so they ask... Saying something like: "try everything", isn`t really very usefull answer...
Bulma
Beginning Game Programming looks like a fine book to start some of the things mentioned in this thread with. I would suggest getting it.
alright then Knight I'll probably look into it.
Ok, another quick question, the book states that you will need to know the basics of C, and stuff like that, and is C really that much different from C++? C++ should be fine right?
C and C++ are differen't but they work intertwined in some compilers. It shouldn't be that big of an issue.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement