Legions of Elvendale - Opening Theme

Started by
20 comments, last by Moongate 17 years, 8 months ago
I thought I would post one of my weekly pieces :p Legions of Elvendale I was written as a speculative track to be used for opening theme music, preferably for an RPG or MMORPG. I spent a lot of time programming the strings as well, especially at the end. Enjoy and thanks for listening, Sean Beeson
Sean Beeson | Composer for Media
www.seanbeeson.com
Advertisement
As per usual, the orchestration, musical ideas, pacing, development, the emotional content...is top notch.

Excellent work, good sir.

Ryan
Fantastic work as usual, Sean. Really nice choice of instruments to layer. Choosing which instrument goes where is just as important as what they play and how they interact with other instruments. The subtle coloring at the end is a good example of that. Thanks so much for sharing!

Tony
great song, nice work
Jim Welch
WelchCompositions
I agree with what everyone said, but the song does not have a catchy melody. It'll sound great in the game but might not stick in peoples minds.
I use the same thematic line about seven times throughout the piece, but simply decided to not spoon feed it to the listeners. I was shooting for something that is thematic yet ambient, which is not as easy to write as one would imagine. You want the piece to be good as a whole and enjoyable, but try to not have anything invade the piece.
www.seanbeeson.com
I think it works rather well, but when you say it is in fact for an opening theme or menu the melody could come stronger here and there. If you're going to "spoon feed" anything to the listener it would almost always be either during menus or the opening theme. Just a thought.

Tony
I thought I had the theme in their enough for people to remember it :p Maybe I just need to turn the volume up on the horns.

www.seanbeeson.com
Naw, I wouldn't change anything. Just playing a little devils advocate here, sounds great to me. We're just nitpicking. Hey, what projects are you working on these days anyways?

Tony
I thought it was really cool, especially the Debussian moment at the end - were those crotales in the background? (the high metal mallets playing alongside the harps) I liked how their part sounded almost aleatoric, it really helped add to the feeling of confusion created by the chords and the harp glisses.

I'm wondering what you think about the mixing of the trumpets and the choir (I think I heard choir at around :50)? They seem to get drowned out by the instruments playing the C# drone, which is weird b/c trumpets usually would wanna blast through something like that, even when playing those short staccatos. Maybe it'd help to tone down on the drone? It could just be the EWQL trumpets too - I had this same exact problem with my old orchestra demo, it could only be solved by layering with trumpets from another library to get more "body".

Either way, really cool powerful song :)

-----------------
Wilbert Roget, II
Composer
RogetMusic.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement