Do I need to learn the Standard C++ Library???

Started by
40 comments, last by torakka 17 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by mikeman
The thing is, while your project is admirable, that whenever we see someone claiming their implementation is faster, we always suspect that the implementation neglects several features and standards in order to "pass" some selected benchmarks. But SC++L is so much more than that. We must compare the 2 implementations in their entirety. Case in point: sorting a core::list takes more than 2x the time it takes to sort an std::list(in my test, sorting a std::list with 10000 integers takes on average 70ms, whereas doing the same with a core::list takes 180ms). With larger types it's even worse, std seems to be up to 4x faster.

That misses the point. The whole reason that someone would opt to write custom containers instead of STL is precisely because they can "neglect" some features which they find worthless and tailor their code to perform well in certain scenarios (which correlate to the benchmarks).
Advertisement
I can speak only for myself, but for me this is more like building model railroads for someone else. The tinkering never ends, what'll I do if this is finished some day!?

Just kidding, I haven't much touched the code prior to again very recently due to coming back from the vacation and having a couple of days to kill before going back to work and itching to get back into the right "mindset" to not write shit when back there. ;-o

At work I mostly use ANSI C, though.. no clue what good this is going to do.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement