Need help to make a simple game for a school project

Started by
17 comments, last by VV0LF 17 years, 9 months ago
Ok, I am new here and most importantly I'm new to game developing. Probably I made a mistake when I told my lecturer that I would make a game for a project. But now what is done is done and the application is written and the project is a very important one so I have to do my best to get a good grade. Now the project is on Turbo Pascal, that is the language I know most, that is the language required. The game I planned consists in a 2D turn-based 'RPG' with very basic graphics and sound. For those who know what I'm talking about a kind of Pokemon Yellow on the GameBoy, you know with the character sprite moving here and there and probabilties of enemies cropping up, that sort of stuff. Now I know Pascal quite well but I never was taught at school (to my great dissappoinment) how to insert basic images (as in tiles for the map) and sounds in a pascal program. I thought it was no problem when I filled in the application, "There'll be loads of info on the net," I said. And in fact as always I didn't just find too many info but even too complicated and numerous for my needs. For starters I just need the basic commands to insert images and sounds and long as I searched (call me dumb) I found nothing so simple. PLUS most of what I found was about Delphi, C and so on, for obvious reasons: Pascal ain't the best for game developing. Well to cut a long story short I am in the S**T up to my nose lool. What I really need is basic help and commands to start making this game. I have planned it in my mind and though of it for long. If anyone can help me, please, and I emphasise PLEASE, do it. Feel free to ask me anything you need to know to help me and I'll asap. Thanks in advance VV0LF - a guy in trouble :p
Advertisement
As far as I know, Turbo Pascal is for DOS. I guess it logically has libraries for VGA graphics or something like that, but is it absolutely necessary to write it for Borland's Turbo Pascal compiler? FreePascal, for instance, compiles Extended Pascal(Turbo Pascal) code, but it aims at modern 32-bit operating system such as Win32. As you can see the units include bindings for graphics libraries such as SDL(SDL4Freepascal) which is used heavily in 2D game developing, or OpenGL which is for 3D but can easily be used for making a spectacular-looking 2D game with tons of effects(but I guess this isn't your main concern, so go with SDL).
I've seen windows created in Borland Pascal examples (but that was around 7 years ago). I suppose it's just the question of adding the correct libraries. Besides, I thought that Delphi is a kind of evaluated version of Pascal.

Anyway, VV0LF: have you considered the Gamemaker http://www.gamemaker.nl/ and this sort of utilities? I suppose you won't get away with a game but no code?

As far as I'm aware there are some free 2D engines available at http://www.sourceforge.net. I suppose they could speed up things but I doubt any is written in Pascal.

A bit of advice: if I were you I'd consider other type of game than RPG. I'm sure you have thought carefully about every detail of your game but things tend to get very complicated with time as you progress with your game. I found simple games like Snake or Tetris complicated here and there.

If a simple game in C (with the MS windows library though) is an option for you – give me a shout. I can send you some examples of the first game I've ever made. Perhaps basing on its code you can came up with something?
"is it absolutely necessary to write it for Borland's Turbo Pascal compiler?" - probably yes but I will check with my lecturer to be sure. We used FreePascal when I was in secondary school and I personally have no idea why in this pre-university school we use TurboPascal (i like FreeP MUCH better).

"Anyway, VV0LF: have you considered the Gamemaker http://www.gamemaker.nl/ and this sort of utilities? I suppose you won't get away with a game but no code?" - now I guess gamemaker.nl is a site that creates games right? Well obviously I can't get away with no code. In fact I don't just need the code but a whole documentation (a very detailed one actually)

"If a simple game in C (with the MS windows library though) is an option for you – give me a shout." - Again I will check with my lecturer if I have to use TurboPas or not. He might accept FreePas but I guess C is out of the question
Take a poke at SDL. There's a Pascal port (via JEDI-SDL) lying around. [smile]
Does it have to have sound and graphics? You could make a text-based RPG.
John BoltonLocomotive Games (THQ)Current Project: Destroy All Humans (Wii). IN STORES NOW!
Quote:Original post by VV0LF
"is it absolutely necessary to write it for Borland's Turbo Pascal compiler?" - probably yes but I will check with my lecturer to be sure. We used FreePascal when I was in secondary school and I personally have no idea why in this pre-university school we use TurboPascal (i like FreeP MUCH better).

"Anyway, VV0LF: have you considered the Gamemaker http://www.gamemaker.nl/ and this sort of utilities? I suppose you won't get away with a game but no code?" - now I guess gamemaker.nl is a site that creates games right? Well obviously I can't get away with no code. In fact I don't just need the code but a whole documentation (a very detailed one actually)

"If a simple game in C (with the MS windows library though) is an option for you – give me a shout." - Again I will check with my lecturer if I have to use TurboPas or not. He might accept FreePas but I guess C is out of the question

If you like free pascal you should give c++ a shot. Free pascal is basically pascal linked with c++ libraries. It is great though.

If you do need I have excellent Turbo Pascal demos and libraries for you. A very nice one for loading sprites and using them
----------------------------

http://djoubert.co.uk
Graphics in turbo pascal aint an easy subject. Try the search function on this forum with "pascal vga", that gave me some results.
for pascal graphics i would suggest asphyxias VGA tutorials, they are a bit old and do use x86 assembly quite heavily, but the graphics library that is included in turbo pascal is really horrible. (and asphyxias tutorials teach you how to make some nice effects aswell).

here is a link to the PCGPE (PC GAme Programmers Encyclopedia)

it contains asphyxias tutorials + a bunch of stuff for joysticks, sound (soundblaster i think), + other useful stuff for DOS gameprogramming with turbo pascal.

(it was what i used to learn game development a million years ago :))

ftp://x2ftp.oulu.fi/pub/msdos/programming/gpe/pcgpe.zip
oops , that link doesn't work it seems,

the entire PCGPE is avaliable here though:
http://www.qzx.com/pc-gpe/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement