Yes/No 'Pay money for an amazing 2D game'

Started by
12 comments, last by Ezbez 17 years, 8 months ago
My first post, my first question! And before you label me as biased, or put me into that convenient stereotype you have been wating to nourish, why don't you act like a human and give me a chance? Of course, when I mean a great 2D game, im talking something that is revolutionary and amazing, while being everthing that 2D game is loved for. In other words to best of the old and new. Imagine the finest 2D brawler side scrollers from MAME and the real arcades blended with the finess and quality of the Ogre Battle cover art. SO I ask of you, you put your money on that game, just as you did for the last hyped up 3D FPS, or the most recent platformer?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Old_School_2D
My first post, my first question! And before you label me as biased, or put me into that convenient stereotype you have been wating to nourish, why don't you act like a human and give me a chance?

How about you act like a human and give us the chance to be civil to you, instead of being rude and assuming that we will jump on your ass.

Quote:SO I ask of you, you put your money on that game, just as you did for the last hyped up 3D FPS, or the most recent platformer?

I buy every 2D castlevania. I couldn't give less of a shit about the 3D castlevanias, because they just don't have the same appeal.

Games are games, and the number of dimensions used to display the world is irrelevant. Some games are better 3D, some better 2D. In the end, I buy a game because it is a good game.

In short, yes.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

If a game is reeeeeally good, the graphics are the less important thing..

you know, people tend to forget it but.. games are suposed to be fun, whether they are squares falling and you have to sort them by their shape or if it is a 3D-huge mech firing rockets and laserbeams..

PS: yes.. I have just mentioned tetris and mech warrior, I know, I know.. perhaps it's not the best example of a incredible good graphic game (cuz it's old), but on it's time those graphics really kicked ass.. but still, there where some people that preferred a nice afternoon of tetris..

I hope you get what I'm trying to say..
Same answer here as JBourrie's: Don't open with a defense for an attack that doesn't yet (and may never) exist, and a bit more coherence wouldn't hurt either.

Anyway, 2D games have just as much potential as 3D games (plus they don't suffer from poor camera control/reactions). Hell, I'd like to see more 0D (text) games out there.

The genre and medium for the game is far less important than the game itself. I'll play nearly anything as long as it's good. I'm not typically an action-game guy, but I absolutely loved Ratchet and Crank 3 and played through every second. The same goes for God of War (though I never beat it). It's not typically a genre of game I typically play, but it was just that damn good and I enjoyed it as much as any RPG or RTS out there.
Without order nothing can exist - without chaos nothing can evolve.
I love 2D games, the simplicity lends it's self to more focus on gameplay and I wish more indie developers would take advantage of this. So yes I would pay for a good 2D game (just as I would pay for a good 3D game like everyone else has said)
I'd pay for a game in any dimension if it was worth it.

However...
The word "revolutionary" makes me soft. Seeing as in the last 10 years of gaming I've yet to see a game be "revolutionary" in any decent sense of the word I'm gonna go out on a limb and take that as buzz word abuse.

How about making a game that's fun! Now that I'll buy.
Quote:
Imagine the finest 2D brawler side scrollers from MAME and the real arcades blended with the finess and quality of the Ogre Battle cover art.

SO I ask of you, you put your money on that game, just as you did for the last hyped up 3D FPS, or the most recent platformer?

Absolutely. Where I can find that game?
I prefer the 'feel' of 2D over 3D and there are many 2D titles out there still with many, many players. Some games take 2D backgrounds and place 3D sprites on them. For example, www.conqueronline.com.

Another that springs to mind and has taken many hours of my time, is Soldat (www.soldat.pl). But back on topic, yes I would definately pay for 2D. Hell, Soldat pulls the fun factor off so well that I have registered a copy twice when you don't even need to!
Quote:Original post by CyberSlag5k
Same answer here as JBourrie's: Don't open with a defense for an attack that doesn't yet (and may never) exist, and a bit more coherence wouldn't hurt either.

Anyway, 2D games have just as much potential as 3D games (plus they don't suffer from poor camera control/reactions). Hell, I'd like to see more 0D (text) games out there.

The genre and medium for the game is far less important than the game itself. I'll play nearly anything as long as it's good. I'm not typically an action-game guy, but I absolutely loved Ratchet and Crank 3 and played through every second. The same goes for God of War (though I never beat it). It's not typically a genre of game I typically play, but it was just that damn good and I enjoyed it as much as any RPG or RTS out there.

Thirded. I don't care whether it's text-based, 2D, or 3D, I only care whether it's fun.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by superpig
Quote:Original post by CyberSlag5k

Thirded. I don't care whether it's text-based, 2D, or 3D, I only care whether it's fun.

Fourthed. The fun factor of a game is what should make it sell. I wouldn't spend buttloads of money on a superfast machine just so I could play a game that requires a supercomputer to have those photorealistic graphics. I would rather turn the graphics down and enjoy the gameplay.
In addition to what the others have already said, remember that people are still purchasing 2d games every single day on platforms such as mobile phones and handheld systems like the Nintendo DS.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement