vc++ question

Started by
4 comments, last by Aardvajk 17 years, 9 months ago
After following the guide on microsoft's homepage (don't remember the url) how to change the directories in "projects & solutions" to the SDK, i've been having some troubles. I have linked to the following directories in the VCProjectEngine.Dll.Express file: Include="C:\Program\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Include" Library="C:\Program\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Lib" Path="C:\Program\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Bin" I know from before that I still need to link to the old directories for it to work because I can't even compile now. How do I link to many directories at the same time? It was a long time ago this problem started, so I became tired of it and kept using dev-c++ instead. So i'm not sure if this is the right error message, but this is atleast what I get when I try to compile (anything) right now: Project : error PRJ0002 : Error result -1073741515 returned from 'C:\Program\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin\cl.exe' There is no information anywhere on how to link to many folders and the guide didn't say anything that it was necessary either so I don't understand why they didn't brought it up.
Advertisement
(Sorry this goes so wide but I thought password might need to see the whole Path line).

Why didn't you add these through the IDE? I know it says here that you can modify that VCProjectEngine file thing, but it looks as though you are now ONLY telling VC to look in those directories, not all the other ones it has set up by default.

I may be wrong. Have a look at your project settings through the IDE at the Tools->Options->Projects & Solutions->VC++ Directories->Include Files for example. There should be a load of directories there, not just the PSDK one.

Sorry if I have the wrong end of the stick here.

The relevant lines in my VCProjectEngine or whatever file look like this:

Include="$(VCInstallDir)include;$(VCInstallDir)PlatformSDK\include;$(FrameworkSDKDir)include"Library="$(VCInstallDir)lib;$(VCInstallDir)PlatformSDK\lib;$(FrameworkSDKDir)lib;$(VSInstallDir);$(VSInstallDir)lib"Path="$(VCInstallDir)bin;$(VCInstallDir)PlatformSDK\bin;$(VSInstallDir)Common7\Tools\bin;$(VSInstallDir)Common7\tools;$(VSInstallDir)Common7\ide;$(ProgramFiles)\HTML Help Workshop;$(FrameworkSDKDir)bin;$(FrameworkDir)$(FrameworkVersion);$(VSInstallDir);$(PATH)"Reference="$(FrameworkDir)$(FrameworkVersion)"Source="$(VCInstallDir)crt\src"

So it looks as though you need all the default directories in there as well as the PSDK directories, all seperated by semi colons.

Paul
In VC++ directories these are listed:

Executable:
C:\Program\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin
C:\Program\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Bin

Include files:
C:\Program\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\include
C:\Program\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Include

Library files:
C:\Program\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\lib
C:\Program\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Lib

I think that should be enough or am I missing some directories?

The express file looks like this now (I edited both the express file and the settings in the IDE):
			Include="$(VCInstallDir)include;C:\Program\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Include"			Library="$(VCInstallDir)lib;C:\Program\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Lib"                  Path="C:\Program\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin;C:\Program\Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2\Bin"			Reference="$(FrameworkDir)$(FrameworkVersion)"			Source="$(VCInstallDir)crt\src"

I still get the Error result -1073741515 returned from 'C:\Program\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin\cl.exe'. This is strange because that's the folder that I orginally used before when it worked..
Don't know then. Sorry. Looks like you are missing the Common7 and Common7\bin etc stuff from the Path but I don't know if that is relevant.

I take it you could compile console apps okay before you tried to install the PSDK? Perhaps uninstall VS and PSDK, reinstall and try again?
I wanted to avoid it but I guess I will have to reinstall vc++ and try again like you said, it usually works. Atleast I know how to configure it now, so there should be no problems. Thanks for your help..

If I remember right I was experimenting with the cl.exe file so maybe it's corrupt now or something, that could explain why.
Just out of curiosity, how exactly were you experimenting with the cl.exe file? That really doesn't sound like a good idea to me [smile].

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement