🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Hi everybody! Need help for a mmorpg.

Started by
31 comments, last by Hybris 23 years, 2 months ago
Hi Hybris, this is also my first post on this site but I''ve been surfing the online game network community for a while.

The first thing is that IMHO, a MMRPG for a first project is something which is realisable as long as you start simple. My suggestion is that you start by implementing one small feature at time. The first one should be the data transfer protocol. On work something that look like a chat, just to test the tranfer protocol & methods. Expand on that afterword. For example, your second step could be the movement of characters over a map and showing it to everyone else.

Etc..

I''m currently working on a small Multiplayer RPG and as others people have mention it earlier, it''s not a good idea to start up by thinking about 1000 or more players. YOu have to start simple that''s the only way you''ll feel rewarded by each step you take and you''ll feel like pushing forward.

For me thou this is my first Internet program but I''ve worked on several game in the past (some of them which have been put on hiatus due to lack of time and interest mostly).

The main thing which discourage programmer is the fact that after weeks of hard works you don''t get to see any reward if you start big and think too big. Especially in small team. YOu also have to learn to repartize task and the best way to do that is also to come up with some tool which can be use to modify the game elements.

If you take all that in consideration and work that way there''s a good chance that you may manage to come up with a descent and interesting game.

Remember also that the most important thing about making any game is commitment. You have to spend at least 2 hours thinking about how you''re gonna make your game. Don''t job ahead into programming, start by doing somesort of "prototype" of how each functions will work and of each element which the player can access. The more you prepare yourself before jumping into programming the easier it will be to face up difficulties. Of course along the way some unexpected problem may come up which could force you to think back about certain things but at least all that will be left to do will correcting those small problems along the way and keep coding and testing.

Even for an experience (and I''ve been programming since I was 5 so I know a lot about that) it''s never easy also to just jump into a language if you''ve not programm a lot before.

Remember that the most important thing is to keep your spirit up and don''t be affraid to ask question and ask for help otherwise you''ll never learn anything new and there is some answer which are hard to find.

Nick

Advertisement
Hi Nick, I am quite experienced in programming, I started coding on vi precious commodore 64 (rip). I made some games in other languages and I''ve been programming alot in ADA 95 also an object oriented language. I''m just new to c++ but Im learning fast

"You have to spend at least 2 hours thinking about how you''re gonna make your game."

well what can I say we already put over 600 hours into it and we don''t expect our game document finished until late summer. I would guess we''ll spend atleast some 1000 hours into thinking how we''re gonna make our game.

As I wrote before were gonna start small with 1 zone and 1 player, then we add another player then 10 plr then 100 plrs or so then we take our work to a big company to see if they''ll support us We don''t plan to make the entire game ourselves.
OOps.. I meant 2 hours a day.. heheh.. sorry for the typo.

Nick

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement