Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked

Fred Phelps hates John Stewart and Stephen Colbert

Started by Strider_Hiryu Sep 8, 2006 at 11:10 AM 16 replies 2.4k views
Original Post
Strider_Hiryu
Strider_Hiryu
The ten minute video can be viewed here. Fred Phelps, for those that may not remember, is the Preacher that would protest on the streets, and at funerals, holding up the "God Hates Fags" sign. He spends his time in this video, reinforcing his message, but with added blame towards Stephen Colbert and John Stewart for the current state of America. Personally, I believe this man's ideas are too far over the deep end. <>
We'll bring your children up in the classic English manner, by making them learn latin, and beating them half to death in a single sex environment.
Ravuya
Ravuya
Wacko extremist hates comedy. Film at 11.
capn_midnight
capn_midnight
Quote:
Original post by Strider_Hiryu
Personally, I believe this man's ideas are too far over the deep end

The words "too far" indicate that you feel something should be done about him. His right to say these things is just as much protected as anything else that one could or would say. Don't misconstrue this as agreement with his statements; we all have the right to free speech, especially offensive speech.
Strider_Hiryu
Strider_Hiryu
Quote:
Original post by capn_midnight
Quote:
Original post by Strider_Hiryu
Personally, I believe this man's ideas are too far over the deep end

The words "too far" indicate that you feel something should be done about him. His right to say these things is just as much protected as anything else that one could or would say. Don't misconstrue this as agreement with his statements; we all have the right to free speech, especially offensive speech.


No, that's not what I meant. perhaps I should've used "strongly disagree" instead.
We'll bring your children up in the classic English manner, by making them learn latin, and beating them half to death in a single sex environment.
BerwynIrish
BerwynIrish
Quote:
Original post by Strider_Hiryu
Quote:
Original post by capn_midnight
Quote:
Original post by Strider_Hiryu
Personally, I believe this man's ideas are too far over the deep end

The words "too far" indicate that you feel something should be done about him. His right to say these things is just as much protected as anything else that one could or would say. Don't misconstrue this as agreement with his statements; we all have the right to free speech, especially offensive speech.


No, that's not what I meant. perhaps I should've used "strongly disagree" instead.


Nah, your original was fine. "Too far for him to be considered a rational person" is not anti-free speech. "Too far for him to be treated with anything other than ridicule" is not anti-free speech. "Too far for me to not speak out against him" is not anti-free speech. "Too far so that his right to speech should be revoked" is certainly a possible meaning, but it's only one of many and not the first one that crossed *my* mind. Covering for the extremists in one's tribe by twisting the discussion into a free speech issue is a common tactic. You will find that even if you are careful to avoid vague statements like "too far", you're still gonna run into a ton of folks who will interpret strong disagreement as intolernace of free speech, so I wouldn't worry too much about appeasing them.
Mithrandir
Mithrandir
Quote:
Original post by capn_midnight
Quote:
Original post by Strider_Hiryu
Personally, I believe this man's ideas are too far over the deep end

The words "too far" indicate that you feel something should be done about him. His right to say these things is just as much protected as anything else that one could or would say. Don't misconstrue this as agreement with his statements; we all have the right to free speech, especially offensive speech.


It's funny how you're attacking Strider_Hiryu's right to free speech in the same paragraph where you defend Fred Phelps's.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My signature is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My signature, without me, is useless. Without my signature, I am useless.
Conner McCloud
Conner McCloud
Quote:
Original post by Mithrandir
It's funny how you're attacking Strider_Hiryu's right to free speech in the same paragraph where you defend Fred Phelps's.

Its funny how you read that as an attack on Strider_Hiryu's right to free speech.

CM
Salsa
Salsa
Quote:
Original post by Conner McCloud
Quote:
Original post by Mithrandir
It's funny how you're attacking Strider_Hiryu's right to free speech in the same paragraph where you defend Fred Phelps's.

Its funny how you read that as an attack on Strider_Hiryu's right to free speech.


It's funny that capn immediately assumed Strider wanted Fred Phelps right to free speech to be revoked.
Kult House - Fresh Production Media
BerwynIrish
BerwynIrish
Quote:
Original post by Conner McCloud
Quote:
Original post by Mithrandir
It's funny how you're attacking Strider_Hiryu's right to free speech in the same paragraph where you defend Fred Phelps's.

Its funny how you read that as an attack on Strider_Hiryu's right to free speech.

CM

I have to agree. There was no sense of "Strider_Hiryu shouldn't have the right to say xyz" in cpn_m's post.

OTOH, I'm not sitting through ten minutes of Phelps, but I wouldn't be surprised if that madman does cross the line in terms of free speech (inciting violence against others, for example). Does anybody who is actually familiar with the original topic of this thread want to clue me in? I do believe the "free speech" distraction has gone on long enough. Let's commence with ridiculing the emotionally unstable.
Kaze
Kaze
Quote:
Original post by BerwynIrish
Let's commence with ridiculing the emotionally unstable.

i dont have time to go through all of this, someone read it a quote the more amusing bits
Ravuya
Ravuya
Ok.

Quote:
Phelps is a self-described "fire and brimstone" preacher who believes that homosexuality and its acceptance have doomed most of the world to eternal damnation. His group has slightly fewer than 100 members, 90 of whom are related to Phelps through blood or marriage, although his daughter Shirley claims that only 80% are related.[7]
(emphasis mine)

Quote:
Rev. Phelps gained national attention for interrupting the trial-process and funeral of Matthew Shepard, a young gay man who was beaten and then murdered in Laramie, Wyoming, in 1998.


Quote:
A formal complaint was filed against Fred W. Phelps, Sr. on November 8, 1977 by the Kansas State Board of Law Examiners for his conduct during a lawsuit against a court reporter named Carolene Brady. Brady had failed to have a court transcript ready for Phelps on the day he asked for it; though it did not affect the outcome of the case for which Phelps had requested the transcript, Phelps still requested $22,000 in damages from her. In the ensuing trial, Phelps called Brady to the stand, declared her a hostile witness, and then cross-examined her for nearly a week, during which he accused her of being a "slut," tried to introduce testimony from former boyfriends whom Phelps wanted to subpoena, and accused her of a variety of perverse sexual acts, ultimately reducing her to tears on the stand.[10]


Quote:
Brady, in turn, obtained sworn, signed affidavits from the eight people in question, all of whom said that Phelps had never contacted them and that they had no reason to testify against Brady; Phelps had committed perjury.[11]


I can't read any more. It just keeps going and going.
Kaze
Kaze
Quote:
Original post by Ravuya
Ok.
(stuff)
I can't read any more. It just keeps going and going.

thankyou

Conner McCloud
Conner McCloud
Quote:
Original post by Kaze
Quote:
Original post by BerwynIrish
Let's commence with ridiculing the emotionally unstable.

i dont have time to go through all of this, someone read it a quote the more amusing bits

There are no amusing bits. Reading that entry makes me want to cry.

CM
ChurchSkiz
ChurchSkiz
Typically people who preach the most vehemently about a certain subject are tempted by it the most. I wouldn't be surprised if this guy was a closet homo who is visiting rest stops in his spare time.
SticksandStones
SticksandStones
If America is "fag enabling" then I would HATE to know what he thinks of Canada.
hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia- the fear of big words
Pouya
Pouya
Quote:
Original post by SticksandStones
If America is "fag enabling" then I would HATE to know what he thinks of Canada.

I don't think he knows where Canada is, or what we do.

I got bored after 1.5 minutes into the talk. Does he say anything important in the latter 8.5 minutes?

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.