[web] Web Server

Started by
8 comments, last by mediahack 17 years, 7 months ago
Im starting to host my on website on a webserver. But I have no idea what kind of hardware I will need. I have about $500 and the website might have maybe about 10,000 vistors a day possibly something similar like this website in the number of vistors. Anyone have any idea on what to look for in a website with that amount of visitors?
Advertisement
10K users is pretty ambitious for a new site. I'd recommend a LAMP envirnoment on an AMD64 x2 machine with 2GB+ memory. I use FreeBSD 6.1 on my servers and it runs strong.

Where will your box be located? In your closet or a data center?
Its going to be located at home not really sure where. Would a $500 server do well enough to run a web server and where is the best place I can get a server for around that price.
Quote:Original post by Supaflyfrank
Its going to be located at home not really sure where. Would a $500 server do well enough to run a web server and where is the best place I can get a server for around that price.

You're going to host a 10K users/day site at your house on your personal internet connection...? hfgl with that.
If it's located at home hardware will be the least of your worries. You need a high capacity line, and while your cable modem seems fast, if you try pushing that much through it (ignoring the fact that your upload is only a fraction of your download) you will find your account gets suspended or canceled. "Home" internet connections are cheap compared to the same "speed" business connections because home assumes, and silently enforces, the idea that it will be for personal use by one household. The result is that you are really only paying for a fraction of the maximum usage you could pull out of your connection - you're paying for a low bandwidth connection (sometimes not even ISDN), but with a nice big burst speed thrown in as a bonus feature.
Upgrading to a business connection wouldnt be a problem. I currently have a fiber optics connection with 5 Mbps/2 Mbps. And a business connection is only $20 more
Quote:Original post by Supaflyfrank
Upgrading to a business connection wouldnt be a problem. I currently have a fiber optics connection with 5 Mbps/2 Mbps. And a business connection is only $20 more

I hate to be a sour puss on this, but upgrading won't do much good. My experience is that standard connections for websites/dedicated servers start at 10Mbps as compared your current 2Mbps and possibly a potential of 4 or 5Mbps. A site like this or any that have 10K users are very likely on 100Mbps connections or higher.

What does having the server at home on a very limited net connection give you that having a host or your own dedicated server cannot?
Firstly, I'm jelous that you have fiber available in your area...

Secondly, as other's have said, that connection may be a bit anemic for a high-capacity site, but I think its more than enough to get started. In all likelyhood it could take months, if not years, to reach a steady 10k/day user base.

As for hardware, I second the notion of a AMD 64 running LAMP on BSD. BSD is known to be even more stable and secure than linux, though its not as popular and hardware support tends to lag further behind than with linux. You can pick up a dual-core AMD (Athlon64x2 or Dual-core opteron) for less than $300 with respectable motherboards. If you find a good deal, you should be able to find a gig of dual-channel RAM and a pair of SATA hard drives for under $200. A quality case and PSU will run another $100 at least but its important not to skimp on these as they will keep your hardware cool and well fed.

That comes in at $600 sans optical drive. You don't really need one full time anyhow, just for install (if at all.) The ram is a little low, but will do for now. RAM is the least invasive component to upgrade later though, since there's no worry about loosing data or re-configuring drivers/settings. You can save upwards of $100 by using an Athlon64 x2, but the opteron's have double the cache. If you go that route, just make sure you get Socket AM2 kit so that you have a future upgrade path. Swapping a CPU is also a fairly trivial upgrade, providing you stay with a dual-core, 64bit AMD. If you were to come from a 32bit or single-core CPU, you may have to replace the kernal with another to make the most of your upgraded hardware.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

My main problem is I only have about $500. Hopefully my website can become profitable using advertisments such as Google Ad Sense. My website would allow user to create custom images using php scripts I have created but with that possiblity the storage for the website can become very large. And then hosting these images require alot of bandwidth alone. The images will be around possibly 50 to 100 kb each. So with that amount of bandwidth 10 gb of file transfer might not be enough. Anyone has any suggestions? I will need something that also can use php with gd and mysql. Anyone has any good web hosting services that $500 can last me a few months? Also what would be the best way about funding a starting website. I want to atleast break even and which could be atleast $300 a month. I know about stuff like Google Adsense but any other ways for some free but quick start up advertisements?
ok, let me respond again by saying that I too love to host my own sites if possible. however with the restriction of being on a fiber line in your home, why not just take the $500 you'd spend on hardware and pay for a years worth of dedicated hosting at a professional high-capacity hosting service like MediaTemple (http://www.mediatemple.com).

They have the bandwidth you'd need for such a high capacity site plus they have the server power to push it. Just a suggestion.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement