Skip to main content
GameDev.net gamedev.net
🔒 Locked 🤖 Godot

what console are you going to buy?

Started by nOObie dev Sep 11, 2006 at 12:18 PM 71 replies 11k views
Original Post
nOObie dev
nOObie dev
Im definetly going to buy a wii. But nintendo has been very secretative about it. they haven't shown off the console interface (as far as I know), no price or release date(my money is on that they will do that @ tgs), but it does have a very solid launch lineup, especially from ubisoft with Red steel, far cry, and rayman interface; probaly like the ds price: maybe $160-$240 release: hopefully late october early november
----------------------------And then Budda,God, and Peter Griffin came together and said:"Let there be nOObie dev, who as of August, 2006 isn't really a newbie"
necreia
necreia
I've usually been a Sony guy just because I love JRPGs (PS2 + PSP are my favorite), however I'll probably be going back to Nintendo come the wave.

Wii will be my next, maybe a 360 or PS3 when the prices come down and game libraries open up.
Lode
Lode
None.

But out of interest (for those people with small rooms without TV in it), is it possible to connect a wii to a computer flatscreen? It's got both a DVI and analog input (the flatscreen, that is).
Maega
Maega
Quote:
Original post by Lode
None.

But out of interest (for those people with small rooms without TV in it), is it possible to connect a wii to a computer flatscreen? It's got both a DVI and analog input (the flatscreen, that is).


If it has (hopefully it will) component cables, you can use a VD-Z3.

I bought one and use it for my XBOX 360. It is connected to a 17" CRT that I set up in another room. It used to connect to one of my 19" flat panels, but I wanted to keep that for my computer.
Strider_Hiryu
Strider_Hiryu
I'm in dire need of a Metal Gear, Tekken, and Gran tourismo fix, so the PS3 is a definite on my list. Granted though, due to news of the most recent cutbacks of the system, I won't buy it until its second or third shipment. I've been considering the Xbox 360. Namely because of the indy development portion that will be available in the future. The Wii is a definite. I'll gladly stand in line for one.
We'll bring your children up in the classic English manner, by making them learn latin, and beating them half to death in a single sex environment.
Umbongo
Umbongo
Quote:
Original post by Lode
None.

But out of interest (for those people with small rooms without TV in it), is it possible to connect a wii to a computer flatscreen? It's got both a DVI and analog input (the flatscreen, that is).


One of the first things they stated back when the first offical things came out that this would be possible, I've not heard anything more about it though.




Promit
Promit
I'm probably getting an X360 next summer. I suspect I'll pick up a PS3 about a year after that, even though I feel like a tool doing it.

I am not buying the Wii at any point in the future.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Mushu
Mushu
Wii.
Shai
Shai
Quote:
Original post by nOObie dev
Im definetly going to buy a wii. But nintendo has been very secretative about it. they haven't shown off the console interface (as far as I know)

you need to watch this now.

It's a 24 min video of an IGN guy playing games on the Wii. One camera shows the games he's playing, another one constantly shows his hands.
"It's better to regret something you've done than to regret something you haven't done."
Servant of the Lord
Servant of the Lord
Wii - Hopefully, if I can get the cash, this will be the first console I've ever bought at the release date. I keep telling myself it's for teh linkz but Red Steel might just be he first I'll play.

Xbox 360 looks pretty good too, but I'll wait tell prices drop a bit, before considering.
Sneftel
Sneftel
I already have an expensive computer, so I'm unlikely to buy a PS3 or an XBox. The Revolution (shuttupshuttupshuttup), like the GameCube, has the emphasis on multiplayer that distinguishes it as a separately useful thing, so I'm most likely to get that.
simpo
simpo
Somewhen along the line, all 3.

In this order I think: Wii, 360, ps3
wendigo23
wendigo23
I'll be getting a Wii for sure. As for X360 or PS3, I think it's unlikely for me, at least for a few years. The kind of games Xbox tends to have hasn't interested me, and the ps3 is mighty expensive. Currently I've got a DS, Gamecube, and PS2 (in order of useage).
Extrarius
Extrarius
Well, so far, I have an SNES. I'm not really interested in the X360 or PS3, but the Wii does look somewhat interesting. If several awesome games come out for the Wii, I might get myself one, but the DS is calling too (NSMB just looks fun, and all the new commercials for mario stuff are bringing some real nostalgia) and it's quite unlikely I'll end up with both.

Honeslty, I probably won't buy any console, because I'm better off playing the outdated games I have. I constantly try demos/betas/etc of new PC games, and they're just not interesting to me really. Consoles could be a refreshing break, but for the most part, they seem to have the same games that I don't like. I'm hoping the Wii will have something for me, but I'm not really interested in first person games (and moving the camera 3 ft back doesn't magically change the feel of the game, besides usually making it harder to see everything with the character model in the way) and the few other games that come out look like they have a fun gimmick that will be boring soon. I'd like to see more toolbox style games like WarCraft 3 (yes, it is an RTS, but its editor is quite simple so even non-programmers can script somewhat) that produce great numbers of what are essentially minigames. When my friends are online as the same time as me, we can fire it up and play a few games of whatever (playing it to completion, or at least we could if the map isn't too difficult, doesn't force us to rely on several random other people, etc) then go on to do whatever else we want. We've started playing UT2004 the same way thanks to 3SPN.Net, which lets us play a pickup bout without having to spend hours to find a decent server with decent settings, etc. I still play longer games, but they're generally the classics on the SNES and NES. Dwarven Fortress is probably the only new/recent game I've played for a long time in one sitting.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Samith
Samith
I'd have gotten an Xbox 360 already if it weren't for the fact that you can't get on Xbox Live from my university. I still might get an Xbox 360, but probably not any time soon. I will, for sure, be getting a Nintendo Wii when they come out.
cloudscapes
cloudscapes
A Wii

Most games that interest me on the 360/PS3 will eventually come out / are out on PC anyway, or a close-enough variant is. I am incapable of using a controller for any FPS that's remotly twitchy (or fast-ish). I can't justify the expense either, as I have a computer that outputs nice-enough visuals to me. For the Wii on the other hand, very few games that interest me are coming to PC. The console is also more reasonably-priced, and mroe respect towards Nintendo for not participating in the silly ePenis war the other two manufacterers are going through, performance-wise. It's also more in my price-range, as a non-hardcore gamer.
______I have a computer!
Steadtler
Steadtler
Im definetly getting a Wii. My last nintendo console was a SNES. I bought a PS2 when they dropped below 200$. I dont think there are many games worth playing on the 360, and the PS3 is just WAYYY too expensive. I need a powerful computer for my work, Im not getting a second for play... But the Wii looks just like so much fun. To quote that Wii apple parody, "Im fun and Im cheap!" -- says the girl in bikini. Its a no-brainer...

Topic Locked

This topic has been locked by a moderator. New replies are not allowed.

Sign in to reply to this topic.