And then what?

Started by
17 comments, last by Way Walker 17 years, 7 months ago
Before too much longer (i'd say <20 years) there will be pretty much photorealistic graphics on whatever console or PC is the standard, water, shadowing, physics and every other thing you could think of will be perfectly mastered.. Basically there will come a time when 'advanced graphics' will no longer be a reason to buy a new game system, because all of them will be damn near perfect.. so my question is.. then what? What revolutions in gaming could you imagine in the future when graphics are no longer the driving force behind getting a newer system. what new CPU time hog will there be, to require a more powerful system?
Advertisement
gameplay, take the wii as an example, it does not have next gen graphics, just a new way of playing games.

EDIT: Also the physics, and realtime full raycasting.
------------------------------------ IDLoco Game Studios
I recall somebody saying AI was the next step. After super-realistic graphics and super-realistic physics, we'll have super-realistic intelligence.

Although not really. In order for it to be realistic, half of the enemies should have artificial stupidity.
I think a lot of CPU power could be put toward content creation - for example, text-to-speach conversion with lip syncing. Tweaking parameters for each character could make them sound different. It would save a lot of time on creating the game, but at the same time use up some decent CPU cycles.
Quote:Original post by Moe
I think a lot of CPU power could be put toward content creation - for example, text-to-speach conversion with lip syncing. Tweaking parameters for each character could make them sound different. It would save a lot of time on creating the game, but at the same time use up some decent CPU cycles.

yes, i can imagine that having real time lip synching where the speech needs only to be 'typed in' to some sort of in-game script would be a fabulous time saver for game production in general...

that's the kind of things I was thinking of when writing this thread.

I think we'll still have movie-star games with crappy gameplay and extravagant art budgets and an indie market trying its hardest not to get stomped out by progressively more invasive videogame-violence laws.
That time is now for me. I do not really get excited by graphics anymore. Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, all the same. Except the Wii, which is the only one I will get because of the controller.
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
I think we'll still have movie-star games with crappy gameplay and extravagant art budgets and an indie market trying its hardest not to get stomped out by progressively more invasive videogame-violence laws.

heh.. that one's a given! :)

I think we'll always have somewhere to go. New technologies are always being developed. It's just hard to think of where we'll be in 20 years. Maybe we wont even have photorealistic graphics, physics and all that other stuff in 20 years. Who knows. Maybe the only way to achive photorealism is with a super powerful(expensive and hot) computer that just wont be avaible to consumers because we will run out of technology to make it smaller, cheaper and cooler.

Who knows... I wish I did.
............Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?
Photorealism is dull. You want it to look like in the films - real but not real...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement