Why do old games run too fast

Started by
19 comments, last by Ravuya 17 years, 7 months ago
I think you need to get away from this 'frame based' mode of thought.
Not every game is synchronized with the video refresh, in fact I'm going to bet that most of those old games were not.
So it really isn't a good way of thinking about the problem of speed... faster video cards really is Not the reason old games run too fast, this is purely a cpu issue, not talking frames here...

Quote:
The problem may just be our different interpretations of the terminology.

make sure you get the Right terms before you go giving a presentation...
there is no interpretation, only right and wrong
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I think you need to get away from this 'frame based' mode of thought.
Not every game is synchronized with the video refresh, in fact I'm going to bet that most of those old games were not.
So it really isn't a good way of thinking about the problem of speed... faster video cards really is Not the reason old games run too fast, this is purely a cpu issue, not talking frames here...

Quote:
The problem may just be our different interpretations of the terminology.

make sure you get the Right terms before you go giving a presentation...
there is no interpretation, only right and wrong

He does have the terminology right. When we say a game is frame-based we don't mean that it's "synchronized" with the refresh rate. Time-based movement basically means that objects move X virtual space units per Y virtual time units. If the virtual time units are obtained from the CPU's clock, the movement is indepedent of the machine because the ratio (virtual time units)/(real time units) is the same for all machines, since all clocks run in the same speed no matter if they're in a 286 or a Pentium. Frame-based movement means that object move X space units per Y frames. Frame, in simple terms, means every time you process and render a new "snapshot" of your game's world. It is not indepedent of the machine because the ratio (frames)/(real time units) is not the same for all machines. The developers of those old games used tricks like loops to get the desirable ratio for the machine they worked on, but in faster machines the ratio increases, and naturally the game runs faster.

Also, video cards are completely irrelevent. I'm pretty sure that any game that used hardware acceleration(ie relatively modern) used time-base movement. Those old games used the CPU for nearly everything, including drawing the graphics, and they don't use it even today, regardless if they run in a system that does have HW acceleration, simply because they're unaware of it.

This has happened to me too with a slot machine game I made in BASIC around 10 years ago. I used the correct "for" loops to make the fruits roll in the screen in the speed I wanted them to in my 286, and then when I go and try it in a friend's 486...BAM! you couldn't even see them :)
Hey guys, I got a question that hopefully you will be able to help me. I got Unreal Tournement 2003 or 2004 and I installed it on my new laptop which has like a 1.7 Centrino processor, 512MB RAM, and integrated video. So it's a nice comp but I mean it's not the latest and greatest for sure. But I installed UT on it and the game is running SUPER fast. I can not figure out why. I have increased the graphics to max on the game hoping to slow it down but it didnt make a difference. I reinstalled the game and the same problem. Any ideas?

-Mike
deactivate speedstep while playing ;)
This is just a hunch, but if its a dual core processor try starting the game, minimizing, going into task manager, find the games process, right click and goto set affinity, and uncheck one of the CPUs.

I have had to do this for some programs so that they run correctly, or so that some will run without crashing (Maya 7).

Not sure if it will work, but its worth a try.
I believe what you're looking for is DOSBox.
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
its not a dual core processor. and i wish speed stepping was the problem, lol. but the whole game (into video and all) just goes like UT on steroids. Its kinda weird, normally ppl complain about a game going too slow or lagging, but this darn thing is too fast.

and by the way, i installed the game on one of my other comps which is a 3.2GHz and it runs perfectly.

-Mike.
UT has game options where u can crank up game speed. make sure that hasnt been jacked all the way up.
the game speed is at 100%. It is almost normal speed at 50% but still fast.

-Mike
well i have a nes emulator and the games run as slow now as they did back then(in the good way)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement