seeking game artists for interview

Started by
8 comments, last by Elf Kitty 17 years, 7 months ago
Hey guys, I am a game art and design student at the Art Institute of Orange County. I am currently taking a class regarding the game industry. One of my assignments is to seek out somebody in the industry (or has worked in the industry) for a simple interview. I have emailed so many artists already but nobody has replied =(. Luckily, I found this site and hope somebody will help me out. If anybody is interested please PM me with your real name and what company you work for (independents are great too!) along with the answers to at least 5 of these questions =) 1. What was your career before getting into the game industry? 2. Did you attend college (or some other form of higher education) that is related to your job? 3. What is your current job title? How would you describe what that job is? 4. On average, how many hours a week do you spend on the job? 5. On a typical workday, how much of your time is spent at your keyboard (as opposed to away from your computer)? 6. How long do spend on creating a character / creature / environment 7. What program(s) do you spend most of your time on? 8. Marketing: Good / Evil? 9. Do you still pull all-nighters playing games with your buddies or do you "have a life" now that has cut into your gaming time? 10. Pencil drawings still important? Thanks, James
Advertisement
no responses yet =(

If you are concerned about putting you real name and company then answers to the questions would do. Partial credit for the assignment is good too =)
most epople around here are not professionals and the few pros we do have like to keep themselves hidden. however does it have to be from a professional in the industry in particular?
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
any experience is fine. If you have worked on any project, even ones that were not for a company.
well, i don't think i am experienced enough to help you out, i have joined and did work for about 4 projects now, but currently only working on 2 of those 4, and none are completed yet (but i'm getting there :-). if this lack of experience is ok i'll answer your questions fully to help you out (i don't think your teacher will care anyway). btw, are you learning game art there? anything to show (its always interesting to see other artists' work)?
Hey James,

I sent you a PM for the interview. Let me know if you don't get it or if you need anything else to help you out.

I've only worked in the professional game industry for about 9 months now, but I've worked in digital art production for about the past 6 years. Although none of the projects that I'm working on have been released yet they are all high-profile upcoming games for the PC, XBox 360, and PS3.
Any experience will do, even if you worked on your own personel project.

Yes, I am a game art student here. I haven't worked on any of the computer applicatinos yet, I am going through the core art classes right now. As far as work I have, nothing that I am proud enough to put online yet. But I do have a small sculpture that I did for class that I am proud of (considering I never worked with clay before), is this the proper place to get critiques for?

Thanks WorldPlanter, it was a great read. Gave me more insight into the industry. I hope you dont mind if I ask you more questions down the road.

-James
Quote:Original post by illinfinite
Any experience will do, even if you worked on your own personel project.

Yes, I am a game art student here. I haven't worked on any of the computer applicatinos yet, I am going through the core art classes right now. As far as work I have, nothing that I am proud enough to put online yet. But I do have a small sculpture that I did for class that I am proud of (considering I never worked with clay before), is this the proper place to get critiques for?

Thanks WorldPlanter, it was a great read. Gave me more insight into the industry. I hope you dont mind if I ask you more questions down the road.

-James

cool, i'll let worldplanter help you out, if you need a second guy i am here.
and i don't see why you can't get critiques for your sculpture, people post topics for critiques with paintings, drawings, models...etc, i don't see why not sculptures.
and world planter, what kind of artist are you? perhaps i could contact you from time to time for advice with art for my projects?
Quote:and world planter, what kind of artist are you? perhaps i could contact you from time to time for advice with art for my projects?

Right now I'm just a 3d production artist at Liquid Development that works mostly on environments, world content, vehicles, and weapons. I've had rigging, dynamics (physics), animation, and level design experience in the past though and enjoy creating characters and creatures as well. I can do pretty much anything on the creative side of game development, but my ultimate goal is to get into an actual design position. Unfortunately, someone usually has to die, start their own company, or get fired for that position to become available at an established studio so I plan on working toward a lead level designer position first.

I also wouldn't mind giving critiques from time to time if your PM me. If any of the work I've done is shown in a gaming magazine or website I'll let you guys know so you can check it out. Unfortunately, the games that I've worked on are still in production so I can't show you guys any of my artwork until it's made public.

Since I've worked on several of the highlight elements for the projects I've worked on there's a very good chance you'll be able to see some of my work soon unless they want to keep it hush hush until release.
Check your PM's! I filled out your interview =)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement