J2ME - How to remove [G] icon when using GPRS?

Started by
7 comments, last by shmoove 17 years, 7 months ago
i'm using Canvas/FullCanvas... when I'm using HTTPConnection, a [G] icon appears above (upper left) of the Series 60 phone. any way to remove this? thanks.
Advertisement
As far as I know it's not possible.
Generally it depends on the phone, but most phones don't let you do anything to disable info icons.
ok thanks. that's just so annoying then...

You shouldn't really disable icons like that either since they give information in a way a user is used to. I don't know about this exact icon but I guess a user might be pissed if the icon indicates that the phone is online and you remove it.
my-eulogy - A blog about coding and gfxsdgi - Semi-Daily Game IdeaChunkyHacker - Viewer for Relic chunky formats (used in DOW)
I agree with e-u-l-o-g-y. And most phone manufacturers agree too, and that's why they don't let Java applications get rid of them.

shmoove
so how come Symbian c++ allows me to do networking without the [G] icon?
Because thats Symbian and that allows more control over the phone. J2me is a total sandbox system, and does not allow you to operate outside of the sandbox. So all low level control functions are protected.
One of J2ME's big selling points is security. Another big selling point is that it's an open platform and anyone can develop and deploy applications to the end user (as opposed to a closed platform like BREW were the deployment is centralized and there is a body, Qualcomm, that can "look out" for the user). The way to mix those two selling points is to limit the possibilities of the developer so he can't screw up things too bad.

With Symbian apps the user should know that the application can do almost anything it wants so he uses it "at his own risk".

shmoove

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement