Visual stutters

Started by
10 comments, last by Splat 24 years, 5 months ago
Ok, this is not a big deal, but it still bugs me. I have a nice little demo with boxes bouncing around the screen, running at the monitor refresh rate of 75 fps. However, every 4-5 secs or so (not consistant or predictable) there will be a momentary visual stutter where the boxes real quickly stop and then start again, and sometimes there is a little HD activity accompanying this.

Now, I am moving the boxes based off the time delta, so that's not the issue. I'm pretty sure that the computer is just not giving my demo enough time - but most other demos and games I've seen don't seem to have this problem.

Maybe there's an override, or some simple parameter I'm missing.

- Splat

Advertisement
Umm, first off the problem was a non-problem from the beginning: I was simply overreacting to frame dropping that I had never noticed in every other DX software I had because they drew sprites that didn't show the effects of a frame skip NEARLY as much as clear bright boxes moving at a perfectly constant speed on a black background. Secondly, the DDFLIP_DONOTWAIT will not solve anything in this case. It is useful if your code is / can be arranged so that you can efficiently make use of the time waiting for the VSYNC or the blits to finish. That way, you can run real code while waiting instead of having DX enter into a wait loop for you.

- Splat

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement