New Geometry wars clone showcase - updated to 0.3

Started by
70 comments, last by ehudros 17 years, 5 months ago
I don't believe you in the idea behind a game being copyrightable. Art, textures, maps and other assets like that are of course copyrightable, but the gameplay - no way. It would outright prevent competition. You think there could be just one FPS game, just one racing game etc.? That's insane.

Show me and the guys you are threatening the relevant laws and/or some example court cases should there be any if you want to have any credibility.
Olli Salli
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by oggialli
I don't believe you in the idea behind a game being copyrightable. Art, textures, maps and other assets like that are of course copyrightable, but the gameplay - no way. It would outright prevent competition. You think there could be just one FPS game, just one racing game etc.? That's insane.

Show me and the guys you are threatening the relevant laws and/or some example court cases should there be any if you want to have any credibility.

You are correct. That would be like saying there could only be one fast food restaurant.
Ok I was just playing and I had a score of around 220,000+ and it crashed I showed the disassembly in Visual Studio this was the error.

Unhandled exception at 0x00407985 in XWars.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x01e60105.

This is the assembly line of code it crashed at:

00407985 mov dword ptr [edi+4],ecx

Thats twice now at exactly 220875 points my game crash's

And the fact that the ship icons in the screenshots are identical to the ones in Geometry Wars doesn't count as art or textures?

This comes up every time someone wants to clone something so rather than reinforce all the IP laws etc, I'll just say this. As others said, you are clearly talented. No doubt better than me at this point. Why not take what you've learned thus far and come up with an original idea? While any game is still challenging, it is by far easier to simply remake an existing game. The fun of game development is creating a new idea and watching it come to life and being able to show to people what you have created. What you're doing now is the equivilent of tracing in the art world. It looks nice, but in the end it's nothing new and, in some areas, it's identical to what was done (the ship icons).

Either way, good job on an impressive game. I hope you turn your talents to something original, but either way I wish you the best of luck in the future.
Quote:Original post by NickGravelyn

And the fact that the ship icons in the screenshots are identical to the ones in Geometry Wars doesn't count as art or textures?

This comes up every time someone wants to clone something so rather than reinforce all the IP laws etc, I'll just say this. As others said, you are clearly talented. No doubt better than me at this point. Why not take what you've learned thus far and come up with an original idea? While any game is still challenging, it is by far easier to simply remake an existing game. The fun of game development is creating a new idea and watching it come to life and being able to show to people what you have created. What you're doing now is the equivilent of tracing in the art world. It looks nice, but in the end it's nothing new and, in some areas, it's identical to what was done (the ship icons).

Either way, good job on an impressive game. I hope you turn your talents to something original, but either way I wish you the best of luck in the future.

So basically any FPS shooter sucks other than the very first one made? So what right now hes working on cloning it that does not mean whenever he has it working completely he will add new things to it. How many different RPG's can you go buy that are all fairly similar? I think your jealous!
Guys, I'd really like to keep this discussion on the game itself ant not IP theory. I'd really appreciate any suggestions to make the game better (and more original!)...
Quote:Original post by ehudros
Guys, I'd really like to keep this discussion on the game itself ant not IP theory. I'd really appreciate any suggestions to make the game better (and more original!)...

I was thinking about you adding maybe a boss that you had to fight at certain point intervals or something? Like if you had 100,000 points a boss would spawn that was more difficult to kill than other things? Maybe you could implement different bosses and maybe killing them would reward you with a different weapon. Also once you get a new weapon in your current game and then if you die you loose it. At that point of the game monsters are spawning fairly quickly you should make it easier to get another weapon once you have already received one.
Good ideas daAnde, thanks :)
I think the boss thing would be really fun to implement, I'll give it a try soon. Also I agree on the gun thing - I should probably lower the spawn rate a bit after you die to give the player a chance to recover.

BTW - are there any artists reading this that want to join up and help me with newer (and more original) art work? let me know.
Quote:Original post by ehudros

Yes. However, if you are using the original artwork from Geometry Wars (or any other game) without permission, it is an copyright infringement. You should change them to something else, otherwise you'll run into problems. Other than that there are absolutely no IP problems (as has been said, a genre can't be owned by a single game house).
Olli Salli

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement