Tandem Tales - Coming Soon (Need Thoughts)

Started by
3 comments, last by __ODIN__ 17 years, 6 months ago
INTRO Hello again, this is Wendell Preston, the person with the team of one trying to land a job affiliating himself with Nintendo! If you've heard of me you're probably sick of me by now (quite frankly I'm getting rather sick of myself -_-) so I'll get straight to the point! In December of last year I posted a game dubbed The Adventures of Felix Fox - Dream Master. I said that would be my last game but ...with tiny amount of encouragement I decided to continue game development (Like I could quit if I wanted to). I'm hoping it'll pay off : ) PLAN My latest plan was considered to be masterful at first. The Adventures of Felix the Fox - Tandem Tales. It was supposed to be a compilation of several different tales. I'd add network play, build a community, add a tale here and there and eventually end up where a want to be, a second party developer for Nintendo (If not first : >)! As I write this that plan doesn't seem very unrealistic to me but... yeah you know THE PROBLEM Each game I make I always learn new things in the process. Just recently I learned you can declare a struct early on, like you do with functions! Anyway, as I near the end of development I realize how much of a pain it is to develop for the game mostly due to all the new features added! It's so stressful when you add new things that you'll never use again and in the end production stifles. THE SOLUTION My plan is, instead of building up my game, I'll retrogress a bit. I'd much rather have a clean errorless not up to standards game, than a glitchy, hard to develop for, high-quality game. I think this solution will more than certainly take me places. SO FAR Overall I'm partially satisfied with what I've done so far. Then again, I've never made a game I liked after I finished it (This is my 5th demo since I started (late 2004)).My current plan is to release a tutorial, and maybe a goofy test stage just to show how things would go if I didn't try to polish up so much. Failure is staring to take it's toll after all these years but, judging by the knowlegdge I get nothing is a complete failure. THE FUTURE After this project, I'm going to find a job, move out, upgrade my computer fully design my next project with no hidden new techniques, and start over. Does anyone else who develops games by themselves have this much trouble 9_9? Nonetheless, I as always regret nothing. One of the best ideas I've had is to setup everyting I use into seperate Applications. I've already planned out how I'll have a -Character studio -Animation stuido -Object studio -And the ol’ Level Editor. Shich will be redone due to terrible organization! This seems like the perfect way to speed up development time! How do the professionals do it anyhow? YOUR THOUGHTS I've been working on this .... 9 months, although I was working on something else for someone else for 4 months during (new techniques prove it wasn't a waste of time : >, other than pay of course). I plan to release this sometime between or a bit after October 14-18. I'd really appreciate any thoughts anyone has because, I'm so stressed and confused right now :{. Thanks for reading! PS. Still Need Music >_<
Advertisement
Looks nice; congrats on finishing it.

Getting to become a second-party nintendo developer with a team of one is going to be .. hard. You're also probably going about it the wrong way; there's more chance of getting there by doing something really creative on a DS-style platform, than going for a big AAA project. They've got their own (very slick) teams for the AAA stuff; what they might be tempted on is something that's a little off-beat (like Brain Training), solidly hits a target demographic they have no bead on, and utilizes the DS special abilities (stylus, microphone, WiFi).

Also; as a programmer, I advice against letting code-bloat ruin your day... all programmers hate the code-base for a recently finished project (even professionals). If you're smart, you refactor the build, only rewriting the worst parts (and ideally writing it modular, so you can ditch any broken modules, without destroying everything that works).

Don't be so hard on yourself; you're doing better than 90% of the wannabies out there.

Good luck,
Allan
------------------------------ BOOMZAPTry our latest game, Jewels of Cleopatra
So innovation and ease transcend beyond skill and hard work? Oh, the irony!
I've thought about this several hours. If I release this demo I truly believe I'll be no further than where I am now. _ODIN_ you've shown me a whole new light! As opposed to investing anymore valuable time, I'm simply going to rework the entire game following 3 rules; simple fun and innovative!

BETTER PLAN

The simplicity of the game should make it easy to develop for thus I can stick with the current setup and add to it here and there perhaps building up a popularity towards it. Maybe I can make the tools easy enough to use for other people to make stages for it! ODIN I'm much obliged!!! I truly believe a superbly excuted 2D game is the way to go more so along the lines of this! only better (but not too much better : >)!

Thanks again!

PS. I'm not quitting! Simply rebuilding!

"A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever"

EDIT

On second thought maybe I should at least finish it! Feels like I'm quitting! Augh 9_9 I must seem half crazy right now! Perhaps I simply need a vaction. Anyway, the advice will still be used!!! : )

[Edited by - AntiGuy on October 3, 2006 3:47:33 PM]
DO finish it... it'll give you valuable clues on the does and don'ts... Go all the way to the end, as well; adding installer, configuration management, savegames, testing on different platforms, etc. All that stuff will be valuable when you write your second game (since you've fixed all the config issues, know how to setup your system to easily save the game, and have a big laundry list of "things I wished I had done last time, but didn't have time".

Good luck!

Allan
------------------------------ BOOMZAPTry our latest game, Jewels of Cleopatra

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement