Need help on a very simple prob

Started by
4 comments, last by UtkarshGaur 17 years, 6 months ago
Hi all I m a newbie to OpenGL. I have drawn a disc using glu and now i want it to be lit from both the sides( by default only one normal is defined which makes it glow from one side only :( ) I know its simple for u guyz..... but it would b a gr8 help to me thnx
Advertisement
Though I've never messed with it myself, I think you need to enable 2 sided lighting, a google would probably tell you how, hope that helps :)
_______________ Play my Game at neonswarm.com
there can be many ligths, but a surface(or vertex) only needs one normal. just position the lights correct, and it lights up on the sides where the ligths are.
If I understand your problem correctly, you want both sides of each face to be lit. As Thought suggested, this is a setting that can be modified.
Try:

glDisable( GL_CULL_FACE );

This should make sure both sides of every face are drawn. Then, don't specify normals when you are drawing. This "should" draw them both equal. I'm not sure how this is defined if you specify lights, though. If you disable lighting, though, I would think that this would work for you.

If there are different / better solutions (there most likely are) please feel free to correct me.

- Enosch
Quote:Original post by Enosch
If I understand your problem correctly, you want both sides of each face to be lit. As Thought suggested, this is a setting that can be modified.
Try:

glDisable( GL_CULL_FACE );

This should make sure both sides of every face are drawn. Then, don't specify normals when you are drawing. This "should" draw them both equal. I'm not sure how this is defined if you specify lights, though. If you disable lighting, though, I would think that this would work for you.

If there are different / better solutions (there most likely are) please feel free to correct me.

- Enosch
You're right that face culling will need to be disabled to see the back faces, but what Th0ughtCr1me was referring to is two-sided lighting. You can set this with glLightModel*.
Thanx all for ur valuable suggestions.... the double lightng worked for me :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement