What are you proud of?

Started by
25 comments, last by Nice Coder 17 years, 7 months ago
I am doing some thinking right now which was sort of spawned by my own curiosity. I am starting to see the dark side of programming right now and all the imperfections and problems. I have realized, fairly recently, that it is impossible to make any program perfect...it simply cannot be done. Anyway, I would rather not go into any further detail; what I want to ask each of you on these forums is what completed development projects (games/graphics in particular) are you most proud of and why? If you happen to not be "proud" of any, then what ones do you feel were the biggest accomplishments for you? Be as personal as you want and go into as much or as little detail as you want and be as general or as specific as you want. Any new or experienced programmers are welcome to share something so shoot away. I am hoping this will turn out to be an interesting thread.
Advertisement
my little opengl asteroids clone i'd say.
its not 100% complete but it looks ok, plays pretty well and was the first semi-decent game i more or less completed.

http://www.clandct.com/U72-A.exe

no *nix or mac binaries due to my stupid decision to use DX for sound...... (sorry)

the main drawbacks is the overall sloppy code (luckily its not opensource), some missing soundeffects, and rather poor balance on the later levels (your ship gets too many upgrades and gets so much points that the extra lives roll in faster than you can loose them, it takes quite an effort to reach those levels though so its not a big issue.)
I'm generally proud of that my aplications aren't crashing and they do what they do. Currently I am very proud of being able to draw polygons in viewplane in my editor that uses the same mathlib as my engine.
oops, the downloadlink i posted above is incorrect.
it should be http://www.clandct.com/Files/U72-A.exe
Clicky
I'm proud of taking the time to learn Perl. It makes me feel 1337 every time a whip up a one liner in Perl that does the job of a long C++ program.
deathkrushPS3/Xbox360 Graphics Programmer, Mass Media.Completed Projects: Stuntman Ignition (PS3), Saints Row 2 (PS3), Darksiders(PS3, 360)
I'm proud of my 34 hour game, swarf. It's more fun to play than any other game I've made (which is quite sad when you think about it). In that time I wrote 800 lines of ugly code, made and rendered 3 models, 2 of them animated, made 5 2d graphics in photoshop and recorded 5 sounds.

You can get the game here: Swarf 1.0
___________________________________________________David OlsenIf I've helped you, please vote for PigeonGrape!
I find myself proud not of programs or games, but increasingly in little bits of them. "Hey, that bit of code really works well!". That code is invariably what gets carried over to successive projects making them all that much better.
Quote:Original post by deathkrush
I'm proud of taking the time to learn Perl. It makes me feel 1337 every time a whip up a one liner in Perl that does the job of a long C++ program.

I'm proud of taking the time to learn Boost Preprocessor, C++ templates, SFINAE, and to a lesser extend Boost MPL. It makes me feel 1337 every time I whip up a massively overengineered template class that lets you write that one liner of Perl in half a line of C++ :D. Smaller tricks of introspection like begin/end free functions that work on raw arrays and safely fail to compile on pointers to unknown amounts of data also make my day.
I feel proud when I understand something for the first time. For me, it's the little snippets of code that jsut feel so right that represent this. So I guess it'sreally two things. THe rush of understanding something new makes me feel 1337, but so does the code that just works, and has worked for years without fail, code that seems eternal.....
As far as 'completed' projects go, Rowan is the one I'm most proud of. Sorry, it's not a game (I haven't completed any games apart from the bridge-playing one included with my lobby server example on CodeProject, which I also rather like); it's a .Net array programming language and it stretched my brain in lots of interesting ways :).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement