uh.. lets get real (post resolved)

Started by
8 comments, last by headfonez 17 years, 6 months ago
Are there any game desingers here that have become rich $$$ from developing their game? Yeah, its a nice dream, sure its an overly entertaining hobby, but just how much does the average game designer get paid? Also, how likely is it to land into the gaming field? Once in the field, how likely is it for you to become a lead programmer/artist/designer. Once there, how likely is it for you to be working on a game that you enjoy? What type of game design would bring in the big $$$? Most of the advanced games are made in Japan. To land a tight spot in America, the chances are slim, even if you know someone who is in a booming seat. My question, aside from the other questions asked, is what type of electronic game could prove to be succesful, rendering the developers of such game thousands if not millions of dollars. Realistically. SUre we bounce off ideas, develop resumes, give free demos. But will our grand ideas in the gaming field manifest? [Edited by - headfonez on October 4, 2006 12:25:42 PM]
Advertisement
Find another career choice. Gaming isn't about money.

I'll be happy to keep myself alive long enough to make the sequel.
Quote:Original post by Kest
Find another career choice. Gaming isn't about money.

THANK YOU! Words of wisdom I'll live by.

Rating ++ for you kest.
Quote:Original post by headfonez
What type of game design would bring in the big $$$? Most of the advanced games are made in Japan. To land a tight spot in America, the chances are slim, even if you know someone who is in a booming seat.

Game designs don't make money: Business plans do.

And business plans are off-topic in this forum.

-----------------"Building a game is the fine art of crafting an elegant, sophisticated machine and then carefully calculating exactly how to throw explosive, tar-covered wrenches into the machine to botch-up the works."http://www.ishpeck.net/

Quote:Original post by ishpeck
What type of game design would bring in the big $$$? Most of the advanced games are made in Japan. To land a tight spot in America, the chances are slim, even if you know someone who is in a booming seat.

ya I like what you said.
Quote:
but just how much does the average game designer get paid?

You can check out the salary surveys run by Gamesutra and Game Developer magazine for concrete salary information "design" positions. In general, it's not high, in fact it can be among the lowest.

Quote:
Also, how likely is it to land into the gaming field?

No more or less difficult than anywhere else, really. Unless you want to be a "designer" as an entry-level employee.

Quote:
Once in the field, how likely is it for you to become a lead programmer/artist/designer.

That depends on how good you are.

Quote:
Once there, how likely is it for you to be working on a game that you enjoy?

That depends on you and the company.

Quote:
What type of game design would bring in the big $$$?

The design is not as important as the execution; the team, the company, the marketing, the timing, the publisher, the deal, et cetera.

Quote:
Most of the advanced games are made in Japan.

What? Even ignoring the amorpheus terminology "advanced," that statement is completely out of touch with reality.

Quote:
To land a tight spot in America, the chances are slim, even if you know someone who is in a booming seat.

You don't "land a spot" in a prominent, high-paid position anywhere, in any industry. You earn it. Unless you're committing fraud or something. :)

Quote:
what type of electronic game could prove to be succesful, rendering the developers of such game thousands if not millions of dollars. Realistically.

I repeat, the design is not as important as the execution; the team, the company, the marketing, the timing, the publisher, the deal, et cetera.

Quote:
SUre we bounce off ideas, develop resumes, give free demos. But will our grand ideas in the gaming field manifest?

If you want it, and you work for it, yes.

THANK YOU! Words of wisdom I'll live by.

Rating ++ for you kest.

If a business plan is based off a game, and a game is based off of a game design, how then does a game design not make money? Answer that please my good man.
If a business plan is based off a game, and a game is based off of a game design, how then does a game design not make money? Answer that please my good man.

A business plan is absolutely NOT made based solely, or even largely, on a game design. A business plan involves potential for growth, looks at the long term; you're starting a studio, how much will the industry grow, how much do you expect to grow, where will you get talent, how much talent do you expect, project your revenues. The games you make are relatively irrelivant to your business plan. the plan is about the quality of the people you hire, the growth of your market, etc.

The design of your actual game is but a small piece of the business puzzle. Thinking that the design of the game IS your business plan is just a lack of understanding of business. And as much as i wish it weren't true, thinking that game designers have any power is a lack of understanding of the game business; the power lies in the hands of business people most of whom generally don't understand the first thing about game design.

-me
Quote:Original post by Palidine

A business plan is absolutely NOT made based solely, or even largely, on a game design. A business plan involves potential for growth, looks at the long term; you're starting a studio, how much will the industry grow, how much do you expect to grow, where will you get talent, how much talent do you expect, project your revenues. The games you make are relatively irrelivant to your business plan. the plan is about the quality of the people you hire, the growth of your market, etc.

The design of your actual game is but a small piece of the business puzzle. Thinking that the design of the game IS your business plan is just a lack of understanding of business.

-me

Youre right! OMG!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement