Finding a programmer

Started by
20 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 7 months ago
Those kind of deals are rarely done, and by rarely I mean never, and by never I mean almost never.

It's because many games aren't finished and even those that are don't earn well. A promise for an unknown sum of money that depends on many other factors isn't worth much at all.

The best way to get a programmer is thinking about what you can offer them, then offer it. Many programmers are enticed by the idea of working on the latest engine, or figuring out a new algorithm they haven't done before. Others still like the idea that they are fully in charge of the programming side of the creative process, the code becomes theirs and theirs alone and they like creating new code. There's also the fun of learning a new language or paradigm, being able to build apon your own knowledge in an area you lack and expand what you can do.

And in the end you can offer money, but you might not get many takers.

Unfortunately not many projects are like those above. They are old hat, things the programmer has already done that aren't interesting anymore. They are just grinding out code so that someone else can have their vision fulfilled. It's really not fun or exciting, which is what the hobby programmers are in it for. So if you can't offer them money, then you'll have to offer them fun and excitement. And a promise of money someday maybe is not money I'm afraid.

I hope this helps you.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Stormforce
Do developers generally only work for upfront money or do they mind doing deals like: once the game is up all profits made take away the server costs all profits go to them
If they're relying on other people (such as artists for example) as well they have no guarantee the project will be succesfully completed.
If the project is succesfully completed they have no guarantee that it will actually earn any money.

Would you except a cut of potential profits given that scenario?

Generally you'd need to offer at least some money upfront - probably with some sort of system in place where they get payed so much for meeting certain milestones in the project and a certain amount when they finish. Offering royalties from the finished product is all well and good, and if you can't afford to pay much will probably be expected, but it doesn't substitute for actual up-front pay. Exactly how that payment would work is between you and any programmer(s) you can convince to work with you.

- Jason Astle-Adams

for this sort of game you wouldn't need artists anymore than what i can do myself

i'd be looking for someone that likes to code by his or herself i know games like this that make lots of money and only one person ever does the coding he created it all by himself and he updats it regulary all by himself
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
for this sort of game you wouldn't need artists anymore than what i can do myself

i'd be looking for someone that likes to code by his or herself i know games like this that make lots of money and only one person ever does the coding he created it all by himself and he updats it regulary all by himself

A purely text-based game doesn't get you very far...you'll still need some basic art. And a good artist is really the best way to do that.
have you seen some of the games i posted, the artwork in them is very minimal and if i couldn't do it i know a person that does online artwork for free (graphix and so on)
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
have you seen some of the games i posted, the artwork in them is very minimal and if i couldn't do it i know a person that does online artwork for free (graphix and so on)

Maybe your right and I'm wrong but just looking at Trav...I can count at least 50+ images from just glancing at a handful of pages and assuming they are re-using the same images for every method of displaying. It's not as minimal as you think, I do believe. But don't take my word for it. Go out and Do...I could be wrong.
well all your advice has bin helpfull, thanks vey much
It's the same on the programming end.

Experienced artists, especially those aware of game optimizations, also are not trivial to filter out and work with.

I.e., the programmer (regardless of skill level) may need highly optimized models/textures, eyeing low to medium price range.

Online artists (hobbists/beginners/architectural modelers) send him decent models but ten times the poly-count requirement.

Poor use of texture estate, or useage of different texture mapping method than required.

Composing professional(frustration contained) emails explaining the issues may take greater than an hour each time, especially if in other languages.

And they may not resolve.
slow down

check ou zederex, that has 3'000 player and makes a decent profit, prove by the fact the guy running can afford to upgrade to a new server thats alot btter

The art in it is minimal you have some building pictures and some unit pitures but not much else

Ogame has just redon most of its art, its put up new building, research and ship pictures

Travain has a bit more art in it stuff like your village and the map would be harder to do, i it was thought about doing that kind of stuff
Quote:Original post by parasolstars
It's the same on the programming end.

Experienced artists, especially those aware of game optimizations, also are not trivial to filter out and work with.

I.e., the programmer (regardless of skill level) may need highly optimized models/textures, eyeing low to medium price range.

Online artists (hobbists/beginners/architectural modelers) send him decent models but ten times the poly-count requirement.

Poor use of texture estate, or useage of different texture mapping method than required.

Composing professional(frustration contained) emails explaining the issues may take greater than an hour each time, especially if in other languages.

And they may not resolve.

Ummm, I have to agree with AP. Models aren't related to web games in any real way (unless your taking 2d images of a model and using that) so poly-count is a non-issue. Same iwth texutre, etc.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement