Bored

Started by
17 comments, last by Gabry Hyrule 17 years, 6 months ago
also, one major problem I have like you is starting over too often. I've had to train myself NOT to go off and start a new project and waste 10 minutes setting it up every time I have an idea for one. Instead I resist such urges at least once, going to work on an existing project instead. When I've had that urge 2-3 times, enough to write stuff down on paper, then I let myself waste time setting it up. In fact, working on paper in between early computer sessions is one of the keys that keeps me going forward.
Advertisement
One thing I suggest is give your self a goal. I have noticed when I just code to make something look cool, then I do that but I find I want this in there. So I keep on adding stuff in there, and my code becomes messy, because I think this is the last thing I put in there, but's not. I always end up putting more stuff in. You just have to set yourself a goal that is achievable but then yet it is something that will make you strive for it and in the end you will like what you made. One thing that can fix this is actually a design document. Write down what you want to do, and how this is going to work. Don't get to technical with it though (I get technical in my Code Design Document I write for projects).

That is what I suggest. Just set your self a goal and go for it. In the end you will like what you made most likely.

Also, make sure you keep your code clean! Dirty code can easily turn you away from your project, as you don't even want to open the code up and do something to it as it is to dirty.

Chad

Ahaha! Yeah, my code get's dirty... but I'm trying to comment and space it.

Also, I'm now writing all the code on a sheet, it's really cool, now my programming is fast because I know what to do.

Gabry Hyrule
I'm 15, and I know C++, OpenGL and a little Windows programming.
For me the greatest inspiration and motivation comes from listening to music, watching movies and playing other people's games.

And I agree, if you don't have that feeling that you really want to implement that idea in your head or else you won't be able to sleep that night, better don't program at all that day (unless you actually get payed to do it ;).
My Blog
Quote:Original post by Chad Smith
One thing I suggest is give your self a goal.

Yeah, this is right on the mark, it's also worth noting that smaller goals are easier to achieve, and don't seem as far out of reach as some.

Also it might be worth setting mini-milestones for your projects, for example, for your asteriods game you might consider the following mini-milestones:

1. Set-up window.
2. Draw player image to the screen.
3. Add user input to control the player.
... etc.

Ok, set-up the screen might be a little over-the-top for a milestone, but you get the idea, this is what I was doing on my last major project, identify small tasks that collectively build together to reach a larger goal. This way you can always be sure you are moving forward with your project (and subsequently feel less down-hearted when you feel you still haven't finished).

Look forward to seeing your asteriod game on here soon, :o)
Ad

"The FFT - an algorithm the whole family can use" ... and for my next joke...
I've had exactly the same thing. I have the theory to build an engine with Directx or OpenGL, and i read lots of tutorials, but when i really want to write something i find myself lacking the motivation "because i already know how to do it". Well after reading Chad's tutorials (EXCELLENT tutorials Chad, thanks man!) i thought "Now i'm gonna write a DirectX program and it's gonna work", and well it's working :) You just have to make simple projects, divide them into small pieces that can be programmed easily, and you'll see that you'll write cleaner code you understand and can use in future projects. And when it really works, hopefully you'll get motivated to make more complex things.

Good luck!
I like the milestones idea pretty cool! In fact, I nearly erased all the game source code and started doing things at the time.

My problem is not that I get bored because it's too easy, it's because it is too hard!

Gabry Hyrule
Quote:Original post by Gabry Hyrule
Many people seem to be having the same problem as me. Anyway, I'm trying to make a simple asteroid-like game, but about ten times I wanted to stop, but I just tried to keep on, like you guys told me too :)

Thanks again.

Gabry Hyrule

I find the best thing to do when you get bored on one project is to work for a while on another small one.

I have been making a networked asteroids for... well it seems like forever [smile]. Every time it saps my energy to the point where my eyes bleed to look at it, I start something else, something unrelated.

My latest side project was me learning to use ODE, a physics engine. Now I'm starting back into the networked asteroids again.

Finishing any project is hard. I'd applaud anyone who finishes even the simplest game just for getting to the end.
Quote:Original post by rip-off
Finishing any project is hard. I'd applaud anyone who finishes even the simplest game just for getting to the end.

I'll applaud too, it's hard just having some input and output (and I don't talk about cout/cin/printf/scanf, with the mouse and graphics...)

When I was working with Game Maker, I couldn't get any big project done, so I was too, starting smaller projects, which becames my "principal" project, and so on. So I can't work with many programs at once.

Gabry Hyrule

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement