Original Post
I''m the leader of a project a couple of friends and I started
about half a year back. We finally designed what we want our
game to look, and play like. Now we face the problem of code
design. We are looking to code a space-combat game that is
multiplayer, and very fast paced. Basically, a Quake3 re-done
to have the same fast action as a space-combat. The game will
have little to no single player. So, basically, the whole game
depends solely on the network code. The only problem is that
none of us know how to design a game for network play. I figure
that we don''t want to be transfering very much data for each
client to save bandwith. But every once in a while, a larger
update will be required to keep the clients in sync. Some major
tracking of time will be needed, and also some cubic splines to
predict player movement between updates. So the big question is
how do I build the foundation of the game in order to accomplish
this in a scalable/modular way that should allow for the
implementation of the rest of the game-design? I guess it should
be something similar to how Quake3 handles net code, but I have
no idea what that is. I''m not looking for actuall net code or
the implementation to any form of lag handling. Just a nice way
to design the basic structure of such a fast paced game.
I''m feeling kind of stuck, because it seems that a good network
based game would take the network into consideration when the
gameplay code design is created, but the network code design must
also take into consideration the gameplay code design. Anyone
know a book that describes fast paced game network coding? lol,
it''s a pretty select target for a book, but I need it . Right
now, I need anything... a starting place, an article, even an
idea.
If you''d like to know more information about the project, or
want to get in touch with me for anything that deals with the
project, please email me at riptide@linux3d.net.
- RipTide