Original Post
Hi there, Our casual online game has reached a milestone today - we need to ban our first problem user. Ideally, I would like to ban him from both playing the game (the game is played in a downloaded exe) and posting in our online forums. I know the traditional approach to this has been blocking IP addresses, but in this day of proxy servers and wireless internet access, I am not sure that that would be effective. I was thinking about banning users by hardware MAC address and/or other unique hardware IDs that people might be able to suggest. I think this would work pretty well for the game client - not sure how to apply it to banning people from the forums - any ideas? We have talked about it and we don't want any scheme that involves banning by email address - too easy to get around and we don't want to require honest users to give us more personal info than necessary.