Meals

Started by
42 comments, last by ktuluorion 17 years, 6 months ago
Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Any others? I've heard various people claim that Supper is distinct from Dinner, but I've also seen Supper used as a synonymn for Dinner. Breakfast is "the most important meal of the day." It's easy to see why: it's the meal after your longest daily wait between meals (hence it's name, you are "breaking fasting"). Assuming a normal working schedule, you'll roughly eat your 3 meals at 6am, 12pm, and 6pm. 6 hours between Breakfast and Lunch, and another between Lunch and Dinner, but 12 between Dinner and the next Breakfast. So here is the question: is it better to have a crappy breakfast (a couple of overly-sweet confectionaries and a cup of something-else-unhealthily sweet), or nothing at all? If you skip breakfast entirely, that makes roughly 18 hours since your last meal. Lunch: large or small? By large, I mean an entree with two side dishes, etc. By small, I mean a sandwich and maybe some chips or soup. This ties directly into... Dinner: large or small? Typically, Americans eat a small lunch and a large dinner, though I've heard Europeans (especially Germans) will eat a large lunch and a small dinner (typically left overs from Lunch). Are there benefits to a large lunch/small dinner combo? I don't think I could enjoy small/small, and obviously large/large is not good either. The traditional "American" meal schedule is a very large breakfast, a largish lunch, and a small dinner. This comes from our days as a largely agrarian society, when breakfast would be eaten after the farm was tended first thing in the morning (collecting eggs, milking cows, slaughtering pigs, etc.), all of the food was cooked, most of it was eaten for breakfast, and then the rest was consumed over the day before it could spoil (lacking refrigeration kind of limits your preservation techniques). So yeah, there we have it. Bad breakfast or no breakfast? Small or large lunch? Reciprocate dinner with lunch, or don't even worry about their interaction? Snacks during the day?

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Advertisement
During the week I have one actual meal a day, which is my dinner, and I usually have a roll for lunch.
Weekends I'll have lunch and dinner.

I never eat breakfast, and tend not to snack very much at all.
No breakfast, small lunch - usually a sandwich (slightly larger on weekends) and a large supper for me.

Don't forget teatime, though, with biscuits. [smile]

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Breakfast -> Cereal, Toast, Orange Juice

Snack -> Diet Mt Dew

Lunch -> Sandwich, chips, water

Dinner -> Large, whatever my wife cooks for me. Preferences are pork chops, meatloaf or chili usually with a side vegatable and followed by a couple beers or a glass of scotch.

I've found that eating breakfast helps me be alot more productive during the day.
When I'm home I usualy have at least five small meals in a day. I like it that way, and I've heard somewhere that it's marginaly healthier.
When I'm in Uni I can't do that as there are only two meals a day in the campus cafeteria so I stuff myself as much as I can (it takes a lot of food to keep a 95kg man fed). I also have a slice of pizza after midnight if I'm staying up late.
Anyway, I prefer proper bacon-based breakfast, a hearty stew for the lunch and something a bit lighter for dinner and snacks. I don't consider cereals and stuff like that a proper meal, however - a meal with no meat is no meal at all.
Since eating raises your metabolism for a short time, it's actually better to have many small meals than fewer large ones (if you consume the same amount of food overall).

Personally, I eat no breakfeast, and either a small lunch and a small dinner or I'll skip the lunch and have a large dinner. This stems partly from the fact that there aren't any good food places around my university, and partly from the side effect (loss of appetite) of a medicine I'm taking (I would still skip lunch without it, but I'd eat the whole time I was home otherwise). I have dinner anywhere from 6pm to 9pm, depending on when I get hungry.

The only time I ever eat breakfast is when I wake up and my parents are already cooking something (they don't eat breakfast often either, but sometimes do), and I'll only eat a tiny bit because I've never really been able to eat after just getting up (and I'm certainly not waking early just so I can eat breakfast before leaving).
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
I'm on a diet, so...

My eat something before heading out to work, at about 8:30. This is usualy a piece of fruit. An apple or a banana are the most common choices, but sometimes I have some leftover fruit salad and eat that, or a sandwhich with cheese.

Then, arround 11:00, me and some workmates go out for mid-morning snack. Here, I usually eat something with a low suga content, life a muffin, and a glass of orange juice.

Lunch is at 13:00 (1pm), 4 days out of 5 its the soup of the day, complemented with a sandwhich and some juice or simple water. Sometimes I eat fish, I'll always try to chose the healthiest dish, and trade chips for salad, or something like that. For desert I'll either eat nothing, or more fruit.

During lunch I usually buy something to eat mid-afternoon. An apple, a pear, a banana, etc. I'll always bring to work some dried stuff, like almonds, wallnuts, etc, to snack here and there and keep the stomach ocupied.

For dinner I'll have something more filling. If I eat meat it has to be clean, like chicken's breast. Sometimes, to clean my gut I'll eat a full bowl of Kellogs All Bran with one spoon of farm-raised Honey, for taste, and for milk, I don't drink cow's, I use soy-milk.

Ocasionally I'll treat myself to jello [wink]
I could be wrong but I believe there is some scientific evidence which suggests the healthiest way to eat is by eating small amounts of food frequently, rather than large meals with long gaps between them, because processing a massive meal put quite alot of strain on the digestion system...I'm probably wrong though ;)
Breakfast - usually a bowl of cereal, maybe some toast, or a very small amount of the good stuff if it's available.

Lunch - cooked food when at University, usually a roll when at home, packet of crisps, but sometimes I just don't bother.

Dinner - I always have a proper dinner... I don't feel complete without it, it's the one thing I'll always afford myself no matter what the situation.
Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Any others? I've heard various people claim that Supper is distinct from Dinner, but I've also seen Supper used as a synonymn for Dinner.

Man, Elevenses is the most important meal of the day, how can you miss it out! Typically, I have small breakfast, small elevenses, medium lunch, small dinner. I don't tend to have tea.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement